These no-bake Chocolate Coconut Oat Bars remind me of a candy bar I loved growing up – “Whatchamacallit bars”. These Coconut Bars are easy to make, chewy, and delightful. They are one of the easiest oatmeal bars to make and they use minimal ingredients. You are going to love these oatmeal chocolate bars!
For more gluten-free bars check out my Gluten-Free Desserts.
Chocolate Coconut Oat Bars
It’s starting to warm up where I live. We’ve had a colder winter than normal (like most places, I’m sure). We are at the point where it’s too hot at night to sleep upstairs. My husband is trying avoid turning on the AC. He likes to wait until July. I don’t know about you, but I can’t sleep when its too hot. When it gets like this, we turn to no-bake desserts like these chocolate coconut oat bars.
These chocolate coconut oat bars are really simple to make and you don’t have to turn on your oven. This chocolate coconut oat bar recipe uses peanut butter but if you can’t have peanut butter simply replace it with sunbutter or your favorite nut or seed butter.
Make sure when you purchase your oats that they are certified gluten-free. Purity protocol oats the best, but do whats best for you and what works best for your budget.
I don’t know about you, but I try to stick to no-bake treats as much as possible in the summer months. These coconut bars are a favorite of ours. They are chocolaty, sweet, and they have the perfect amount of coconut in them.
I made these Chocolate Coconut Oat Bars a few years ago and redid the photos about a year ago. The old photos weren’t really doing these coconut bar justice.
Ingredients in Coconut Bars
- peanut butter (or almond butter, or sunflower seed butter)
- coconut oil
- gluten-free quick oats
- shredded coconut
- gluten-free rice crisp cereal
- cocoa powder
If you are vegan or don’t eat honey, you can use maple syrup in this coconut bars recipe. For the full list of quantities, see below in the Chocolate Coconut Oat square recipe card.
The peanut butter combined with honey and coconut oil delivers a delicious chocolate coconut oat bar that most kids (and adults) will love. Add in some chopped nuts or dried fruit to mix things up a bit.
If you like a thicker chocolate coconut oat bar simply double the recipe. No need to turn on the oven or dirty your kitchen – this is a one bowl/one spoon recipe for amazing coconut bars.
How to make Chocolate Coconut Oat Bars (coconut bars)
- Line an 4X8 rectangular loaf baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a microwaveable safe medium mixing bowl, heat peanut butter, honey and coconut oil for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir until combined.
- Add oats, shredded coconut, rice crisp cereal, and cocoa powder. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon your coconut bars mixture into your parchment lined pan, leveling the bars with the back of a spoon, or folding the parchment paper over on top.
- Chill chocolate coconut oat bars in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Cut into squares and store these oatmeal bars in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
See, super easy! These coconut bars are a huge hit at parties so be sure to share!
What oats are gluten-free?
While there are many oats that are labeled gluten-free, you’ll want to double check the package to make sure that it doesn’t say processed in a facility that uses wheat. When we make these coconut bars we like to you one of the following brands of oats.
- GF Harvest – I use these when I make these chocolate coconut bars. They are purity protocol oats.
- Bob’s Red Mill Organic Oats – they do their own in house testing at every stage of the process, and I trust them.
- Trader Joes – Believe it or not, Trader Joe’s has gluten-free oats and they are inexpensive.
You’ll want to keep these Chocolate Coconut Oat Bars in the fridge, they get soft if it’s too warm out.
Can I freeze Chocolate Coconut Oat Bars?
Yes, you can freeze chocolate coconut oat bars. Simple bring them to temperature before you serve them. Make sure you don’t let them get too warm or they will melt.
Searching for other simple bar recipes? You will love my Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Banana Brownies.
Did you make these chocolate coconut oat bars? Please leave a starred review and a comment below letting me know what you thought.
Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 556mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g