These no bake Gluten-Free Chocolate Coconut Oat Squares remind me of a candy bar I loved growing up – “Whatchamacallit bars”. They are easy to make, chewy, and delightful.
It’s starting to warm up where I live. We’ve had a colder winter than normal (like most places, I’m sure).
We are at the point where it’s too hot at night to sleep upstairs.
My husband is trying avoid turning on the AC. He likes to wait until July. I don’t know about you, but I can’t sleep when its too hot.
I’ve been doing everything I can to keep the house cool. I open the back door at 6AM to let cool morning air in, I try to keep the shades drawn, which makes me feel like a hermit, and I’ve been avoiding the oven as much as possible.
I don’t know about you, but I try to stick to no-bake treats as much as possible in the summer months.
If I do need to bake, I do it early in the morning with the windows and back door open.
I made these Gluten-Free Chocolate Coconut Oat Squares a few years ago and just recently decided to give them a revamp.
The ingredients are the same for the most part.
The peanut butter combined with honey and coconut oil delivers a treat that most kids (and adults) will love.
Add in some chopped nuts or dried fruit to mix things up a bit.
If you like a thicker oat square, simply double the recipe. No need to turn on the oven or dirty your kitchen – this is a one bowl/one spoon recipe.
If you can’t eat peanut butter you can use another nut or seed butter. My youngest is intolerant to peanuts, so we often use SunButter in this recipe.
You’ll want to keep these Gluten-Free Chocolate Coconut Oat Squares in the fridge, they get soft if it’s too warm out.
You’ll want to eat them cold anyways, they’re tastier that way.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter, or sunflower seed butter)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup gluten-free quick oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rice crisp cereal
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Line an 4X8 rectangular loaf baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a microwaveable* safe medium mixing bowl, heat peanut butter, honey and coconut oil for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir until combined.
- Add oats, shredded coconut, rice crisp cereal, and cocoa powder. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon your mixture into your parchment lined pan, leveling the bars with the back of a spoon, or folding the parchment paper over on top.
- Chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Cut into squares and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 184 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 556mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 5g