An Easy Spinach Dip using only 7 ingredients found in most kitchens. This cold spinach dip recipe is naturally gluten-free, low carb and keto making it a favorite easy dip recipe among many.
For more ideas check out my Easy Gluten Free Recipes.
Spinach Dip Recipe
This spinach dip is similar to the Knorr Spinach Dip but without the extra ingredients and fillers. Don’t get me wrong, I grew up eating the Knorr Spinach Dip and loved it. But my recipe for this easy spinach dip uses minimal ingredients and it tastes incredible. Plus it’s fresh and can be made anytime without any dip or soup packets.
Cold spinach dip is one of my favorite appetizers to serve at parties. It’s naturally gluten-free if you make it from scratch and this spinach dip recipe makes enough to serve a large crowd.
This easy spinach dip recipe makes about 4 cups worth of dip. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days but I’d be surprised if it lasted that long.
What to serve with spinach dip
Cold spinach dip is often served in a bread bowl but you can serve it in a ceramic bowl or a hollowed out bell pepper too. I like to serve this easy spinach dip recipe with an array of Schar Breads and crackers, veggies, and sometimes tortilla chips (for an extra salty crunch).
I love serving sliced baguettes and crackers with fresh spinach dip.
You can keep this a low carb or keto appetizer by serving it with fried cheese rounds, low carb bread, and veggies.
How to make spinach dip
Luckily cold spinach dip recipes are a mix and serve kind of appetizer. Here’s how to make spinach dip:
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze as much water out as you can. Wring it like a towel, not kidding. Then chop up the spinach until its fine.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Add in the spices and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the spinach.
- Mix until the spinach is evenly incorporated throughout the dip
- Serve cold with your favorite bread, chips, crackers, or chopped veggies.
You can serve this spinach dip right away but I prefer to let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so.
Can I use fresh spinach to make spinach dip
Yes. Chop the stems off of 12 ounces of fresh spinach and cook it in a skillet with a little oil. Once the spinach has cooked down, let it cool to room temperature. Squeeze the the liquid out just like you would with frozen spinach. You can use your hands or a paper towel. Spinach has a lot of liquid so keep squeezing until no more big drips of liquid come out. Once all the liquid is removed, chop the spinach and then add it to your dip.
Types of mayonnaise to use in spinach dip
I tested this spinach dip recipe with regular mayo, light mayo, avocado oil mayo and coconut oil mayo. All were delicious but yielded slightly different results.
- Regular full fat mayonnaise – this was my favorite. It had the best flavor and texture overall.
- Low fat mayonnaise – the flavor was equally satisfying, just a little different and the spinach dip was a smidgen runnier.
- Avocado oil mayonnaise – I really like this version. It had a unique flavor and was on the healthier side.
- Coconut oil mayonnaise – This version wasn’t my favorite. You couldn’t taste the coconut but it had a vinegar zing to it.
I have used full fat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream in this spinach dip recipe but I haven’t tried other substitutes for the mayonnaise.
If you like your spinach dip a little more garlicky you can add an extra teaspoon of garlic powder. My girls both said that this cold spinach dip is amazing and reminds them a little of onion dip. If I make a from scratch onion dip I’ll come back and link it here.
More dips and appetizers:
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Bites
- Bacon Tomato Cups
- Shrimp and Sausage Appetizers
- Creamy Seafood Dip
- Gluten-Free Spinach Artichoke Dip
If you make this spinach dip recipe please stop by and let me know what you think. Have a question or comment, leave it below and I will get back to you.
Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g