Simple Gluten-Free Cake Pops that are also dairy-free, deliciously fudgy, and perfect for sharing. Vegan option included. You can use your favorite cake recipe to make these cake pops, or you can use mine.
For more ideas head over to my Gluten-Free Desserts.
This post is sponsored by Enjoy Life Foods. As always, all opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten-Free Cake Pops
Gluten-Free Cake pops are a super fun way to enjoy cake. They are basically little individual balls of cake mixed with frosting, dipped in delicious, rich chocolate. You can serve them on a stick like I did here, or you can leave the sticks out.
Not only am I providing the recipe for these easy gluten-free cake pops but I’m also including step by step instructions throughout this post. You guys are going to love making cake pops once you see how easy they can be.
For these gluten-free cake pops you’re going to need a cake. I used my Easy Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake recipe and cut it in half. If you need a vegan option, or to keep this top eight free you can use my Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes recipe and bake it up in a 9″ round cake pan for 35 minutes. You could also use your favorite cake recipe or box cake mix.
You’ll also need frosting, vegetable shortening, Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips, and little cake pop sticks. If you want to get super fancy, and/or you are a perfectionist like me, you’ll want to get a foam board from the craft store that you can stick your cake pops on to dry.
The first step is to make the cake and cool it completely. Once you have your cake cooled, you’ll want to put it in a large mixing bowl and break it up into pieces. I’ve seen tutorials that tell you to cut the edges off the cake first to get rid of any hard or dry pieces but I don’t think you need to do this.
We’ll add frosting next, and that will help re-hydrate those edges so you’ll have the perfect gluten-free cake pops.
Once your cake is in crumbles you’ll need to add the frosting. You can use my recipe for frosting (below) or you can use 1 cup of your favorite frosting. Sometimes I like to add Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips into the mix with the frosting for some extra chocolate goodness.
When mixing in the frosting, you can use a spoon but it’ll work better if you use your hands. It helps the frosting work into all that delicious gluten-free chocolate cake. Once your frosting is mixed you’ll want to line a small baking sheet or a plate with wax or parchment paper.
Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the batter into a ball and roll it in between your hands. Place it on your lined sheet or plate. Once all the batter is rolled, placed your sheet or plate in the freezer for 30 minutes to help the gluten-free cake balls firm up a little.
In a small mixing bowl melt your Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips with the vegetable shortening for 30 seconds at a time until melted. Stir the melted chocolate until smooth.
Dip the tips of the cake pop sticks into the melted chocolate and then into the center of your chilled gluten-free cake pop. The reason for this is to help the gluten-free cake pops stay on the stick when you get to the step where you will dip the entire cake pop into the melted chocolate.
After all your gluten-free cake pops have sticks in them place your sheet or plate back in the freezer for 5 minutes to help the chocolate harden.
Reheat your melted chocolate for 30 second and pull your chilled gluten-free cake pops out of the freezer. One at a time, dip each cake pop into the melted chocolate and twirl the stick to make sure the entire cake pop is covered in chocolate. Tap the stick on the side of the bowl to allow extra chocolate to drip off.
Place your cake pop back on your sheet or plate, or onto your foam board stick first.
Repeat this step until all cake pops are coated. If desired, sprinkle Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips or chocolate sprinkles on top. Leave the cake pops at room temperature to set or place them in the refrigerator or freezer.
I love using Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips because they are made in a dedicated top allergen-free facility, they are free of the top allergens and they taste amazing. I use them to make gluten-free cake pops, in cookies, granola bars, cakes, brownies, and as a chocolate coating for ice cream sundaes and chocolate dipped bananas.
I first tried them at a gluten-free expo in Dallas, TX when my cookbook launched. I’ve been hooked since. I usually pick up a bag or two at our local health foods store, or Safeway.
They are my favorite chocolate morsel to bake with. If you don’t have Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips on hand you can also use Enjoy Life Foods Mega Chunks for coating these gluten-Free Cake Pops. Enjoy Life Foods has a store locater to help you find both.
It only takes about 30 minutes for your cake pops to set. After that you can wrap them individually or store them all in a container or zip lock bag in the refrigerator. You can use cake pop bags or zip lock bags.
If you are serving these cake pops during the holidays you can sprinkle different colored sprinkles on top, or drizzle different colored frosting on the top.
When I make gluten-free cake pops I make several batches at once and freeze them. Then I pull them out a dozen at a time when I need them. If you aren’t going to serve them right away, you can store them in the freezer for up to six months.
You should have everything you need in this post to make gluten-free cake pops, including links to some of the things I use to make them. If you have any questions please stop back by and leave a comment and I will get back to you. If you’ve used Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chips, please make sure to hop over and leave Enjoy Life Foods a review.
Without further due, here is the recipe. Below the recipe you’ll find a giveaway sponsored by Enjoy Life Foods. We are partnering to give away a year supply of Enjoy Life Foods chocolate. Don’t for get to enter the giveaway so you don’t miss your chance to win.
- 1/2 gluten-free chocolate cake recipe
- 1/4 cup dairy-free butter
- 1 1/2 cups vegan powdered sugar (or your preffered brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoon dairy-free milk (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1 10oz. bag Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Mini Chips
- Make cake according to the directions, halving the recipe, or use my Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Recipe, and bake the batter in a 9" pan for 30 minutes.
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool completely then crumble it in a large mixing bowl.
- For the frosting: In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat the butter until it's creamy. Add in the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract and beat until it's smooth and all the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Add 1 cup of frosting to your crumbled cake mix and work it in until it's evenly incorporated.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the batter and roll into balls. Place the cake pop balls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or plate. Once they are all rolled, place the cake pop balls in the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Pour the Enjoy Life Mini Chips into a medium mixing bowl and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between each 30 seconds until melted. Add in the vegetable shortening and stir until mixed in.
- Pull the cake pop balls out of the freezer and dip the tips of each cake pop stick into the melted chocolate, then insert them into the center of each cake pop ball.
- Once they are all inserted, place your sheet or plate back in the freezer for 5 minutes or until the chocolate sets.
- Pull the cake pops out of the freezer.
- Reheat your melted chocolate for 30 seconds, and stir it again.
- Dip each cake pop into the melted chocolate and twirl the stick to coat the cake pop. Tap the stick on the side of the bowl to allow extra chocolate to drip off. If desired, sprinkle mini chips or sprinkles on top.
- Place the cake pop back on your lined sheet or plate, or insert it into a hole on a foam board. Allow cake pops to harden by leaving them at room temperature or placing them back in the freezer.
- If desired, wrap each cake pop and tie a ribbon around it.
Serving Size:1 cake pop
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 0g