By Wendy Stoltz and Florina Dobre / Last Modified On March 13, 2023
These homemade gluten-free chicken nuggets are tender, juicy, and super crispy, right from the oven! Kids absolutely love these mildly flavored homemade nuggets, and they make an excellent snack or appetizer for adults too. Don't forget the BBQ Sauce and Ranch for dipping!
If you love gluten-free chicken recipes as we do, here are some of our favorites. These gluten-free chicken tender or gluten-free sweet, and sour chicken, or gluten-free orange chicken are all so good. Look at the list for more options!
Discover the joys of gluten-free cooking with Udemy's comprehensive gluten-free courses.
GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS RECIPE
While you may often wish that you could swing by a drive-through and pick up some chicken nuggets for dinner, you will certainly struggle to find a gluten-free chicken nugget option at the local fast food restaurants.
Don't worry! This is no longer a problem because you have this super easy gluten-free chicken nuggets recipe, and it's SO much better! Better for you, better tasting, and better for your wallet.
WHY YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE THIS GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS RECIPE
Baked, not Fried - We'll share instructions for frying these homemade chicken nuggets in case you want to make them that way, but they are perfectly crispy and delicious baked in the oven, and healthier too!
Easy Ingredients - A very simple breading made with eggs, all-purpose gluten-free flour, and GF panko breadcrumbs is seasoned with a handful of common pantry seasonings. You may even have everything you need to make homemade chicken nuggets already at home.
Unprocessed Chicken - Rather than the mushy, processed chicken filling that most fast food chicken nuggets are made of, these are created with boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, cut into bite-sized pieces. If you have enjoyed Chick-Fil-A nuggets before, you are going to love this recipe!
Kids Love Them - Whether you call these nuggets or gluten-free chicken bites, everyone from the smallest kiddos to the oldest adults loves them. Be sure to offer everyone's favorite dipping sauces.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS
Chicken - This gluten-free chicken nugget recipe makes 1 pound of chicken. Buy boneless, skinless chicken breast and cut it into small bite-sized pieces that are about the same size.
Gluten-Free Flour - Any type of all-purpose gluten-free flour can be used in this recipe. Use what you have on hand. We recommend Bob's Red Mill. Others have had success with gluten-free Bisquick mix.
Seasoning - To make these nuggets kid-friendly, we're using just salt, pepper, and paprika to season the breading. Feel free to add other spices like garlic powder or a pinch of chili powder.
Eggs - Beaten eggs keep the breading stuck to the chicken pieces very well. Keep reading if you want to know the secret to make vegan or egg-free breaded nuggets.
Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs - These are pretty easy to find in grocery stores now. Look for panko labeled "gluten-free" from brand like Kikkoman, Ian's, or 4C. If you don't have gluten-free panko on hand you can use your food processor and use gluten-free rice crispies or gluten-free cornflakes.
Equipment Needed for This Gluten-free Chicken Nuggets
Mixing bowls - You will need 3 mixing bowls for setting up a breading station.
Whisk - I like to use a stainless-steel whisk.
Baking sheets - These baking sheets are practical as they are non-stick and come in three different sizes
If you have any questions about making these gluten-free chicken nuggets, please leave a comment and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS - STEP BY STEP
- Mix the gluten-free flour with the seasonings and stir to combine.
- Set up a breading station with three bowls: 1 is the seasoned flour, 1 is the beaten eggs, and the last is the panko breadcrumbs.
- Coat each of the chicken pieces in the flour, and shake off any excess.
- Then, dip the chicken nugget in the egg.
- You can use tongs if you want to keep your hands clean!
- Finally, press the chicken nugget into the panko breadcrumbs to get them to stick well.
- Place the breaded chicken nuggets on a sheet pan that you've sprayed with cooking spray. TIP: You can also use parchment paper for easier cleanup.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F/220°C oven for 20-25 minutes, flipping the chicken nuggets over halfway through.
Tips for Making the Best Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets
Cook the chicken for the correct time - Do not overcook the GF chicken nuggets. They will become dry and get chewy. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach about 165°F (74°C).
Spread the chicken nuggets evenly - Make sure the chicken nuggets are evenly spaced out on the baking sheet. If they are touching they will stick together.
Use tongs or keep your hands dry - Use tongs to dip from one bowl to the other if you prefer not to get messy. If not use your hands but ensure they are dry. The chicken coating will become soggy and not adhere to the chicken if they are wet.
Make sure the chicken chunks are cut the same - In order for the chicken to cook at the same time. Ensure the chicken chunks are cut the same size.
Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DO YOU FRY CHICKEN NUGGETS?
If you want your chicken nuggets to be super crispy, you can fry them instead of baking them. We also have a fried gluten-free chicken tenders recipe that you might enjoy making!
Simply heat a few inches of oil in a deep fryer or dutch oven until it reaches 350°F/180°C. Cook the breaded nuggets in the oil for 7-8 minutes, or until the breading is golden brown and the chicken is fully cooked. You should fry these in a few batches so that you don't overfill the fryer.
While you're frying, I suggest making some gluten-free onion rings too.
CAN YOU USE YOUR AIR FRYER FOR THESE CHICKEN NUGGETS?
Yes, you can place the chicken nuggets in the air fryer basket and air fryer them. I however prefer placing them in the oven as I can cook bigger batches.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS?
Nuggets make a delicious dinner when served with your family's favorite gluten-free side dishes!
- Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli
- Gluten-Free Coleslaw
- Gluten-Free Scalloped Potatoes
- Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
- Gluten-Free Mashed Potatoes
- And you must try our homemade Gluten-Free BBQ Sauce!
HOW DO YOU STORE AND REHEAT HOMEMADE GF CHICKEN NUGGETS?
Store any leftover chicken nuggets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the nuggets for up to 2 months.
To reheat (from refrigerated or frozen), bake for 10-15 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven or 7-10 minutes in an air fryer.
Looking to get an air fryer? Check out air fryer options here.
HOW DO YOU MAKE GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN BITES WITHOUT EGGS?
If you'd prefer to make these nuggets without eggs, you have a few excellent options to try. Maple Syrup is sweet and sticky, so it will anchor the breading and add a yummy sweetness to the chicken.
A thick sauce like vegan mayo or ranch dressing will also do the trick. Thin it down a bit with water to get the right consistency.
WHAT ARE THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE BREADCRUMBS?
We have tried almost all of the breadcrumbs on the market, and have found that they are mostly all the same. Use whichever gluten-free breadcrumbs are available at your grocery store.
If you need a suggestion and want to order gluten-free breadcrumbs online, try Ian's Gluten-Free Panko Breadcrumbs or Kikkoman Panko Style Coating.
What Substitutions / Replacements Can I Make in These Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets?
Egg-free - As mentioned above use maple syrup or an egg replacer will work too.
Breading - Use different breading for the crumbs like your favorite gluten-free crackers.
Is Chick Fil A Fried Chicken Nuggets Gluten-Free?
No, Chick Fil A's breaded chicken nuggets are not gluten-free. They have a gluten-free menu offering grilled chicken nuggets.
Are Mcdonald's Chicken Nuggets Gluten-Free?
No, McDonald's chicken nuggets are not gluten-free. They do however have a gluten-free menu offering.
Is Wendy's Chicken Nuggets Gluten-free?
No, Wendy's chicken nuggets are not gluten-free, they have wheat breading.
What Fast Food Has Gluten-Free Nuggets?
Chick Fil A and Wendy's offer gluten-free grilled chicken nuggets on their menu, not the breaded kind. However, make sure to mention when ordering you need them to be gluten-free. I would also ask how they are cooked to be 100% that there is no cross-contamination.
MORE DELICIOUS GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN RECIPES
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets
These homemade Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets are tender, juicy, and super crispy, right from the oven!
- 1 pound chicken breast, skinless, boneless and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or brush with some oil.
- Set up a breading station with three shallow bowls. Combine the flour with pepper, salt, and paprika in one bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs. The third bowl will be the panko bread crumbs.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, then transfer to the egg mixture and coat well, making sure you allow any excess egg to drip off before dipping into the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place the breaded chicken nuggets onto the baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes (flip the nuggets halfway through) until the chicken nuggets are golden brown. They are ready when the internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- It's important to cut the chicken into similar size pieces so that they all cook at the same rate.
- You can use chicken breasts or chicken tenders to make chicken nuggets.
- Any type of GF breadcrumbs can be used, but panko will give you an extra crisp outer texture.
- To add more flavor, feel free to add a teaspoon of garlic powder and/or onion powder to the flour.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To reheat, bake for 10-15 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven or 7-10 minutes in an air fryer. This works for both refrigerated or frozen nuggets!
- To deep fry: heat oil in a deep-fryer or dutch oven until it reaches 350ºF. Then cook the nuggets in batches for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
NutriChef Non-Stick Kitchen Oven Baking Pans-Deluxe & Stylish Nonstick Gray Coating Inside & Outside, Commercial Grade Restaurant Quality Metal Bakeware with Red Silicone Handles NCSBS3S, 3 Piece Set
Pyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Balloon Whisk,Black
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour, 22-ounce (Pack of 4)
Kikkoman Panko Style Coating, Gluten-Free, 8 Ounces (Pack of 3) with By The Cup Swivel Spoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 846mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 42g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.
Leave a Question or Comment