Missing Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches? Don’t fret, you can enjoy delicious gluten-free chocolate dipped ice cream sandwiches that are ready in minutes and don’t make a mess in the kitchen.
Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
I have a little secret. These Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches are dairy-free too. Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone. Just make them and serve them to your dairy and gluten eating friends.They will never know. I promise.
You can use regular dairy ice cream if you’d like, you don’t have to make these ice cream sandwiches gluten free.
My girls and I were at the grocery store the other day and we passed by the frozen section. A mom and her son were pulling a box of ice cream sandwiches out of the freezer and the mom said, “I don’t think you’ve ever had one of these.
They were a favorite of mine growing up.” My girls promptly looked at me and batted their sweet eyes and said, “Mom, we’ve never had ice cream sandwiches.”
It’s true. They were diagnosed gluten-intolerant at such a young age that we never gave them ice cream sandwiches. Also, since being diagnosed, I’ve never really looked for gluten-free dairy-free versions in the store. Schar sent me some of their gluten-free Honey Grahams.
They are honestly one of my favorite graham cookies. They are square shaped and don’t crumble when you bite into them. They make the PERFECT Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich.
Recipe for Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
The recipe for these gluten free ice cream sandwiches is pretty simple. You don’t need to make the outer layer from scratch, just use your favorite graham crackers, or gluten free chocolate graham crackers.
If you want a more traditional ice cream sandwich, you can make these Classic Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches. But once you make ice cream sandwiches with graham crackers, you’ll never go back! They are super simple and you can enjoy them right away.
Storing Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you want to make a few gluten free ice cream sandwiches to have on hand, for when you have a craving, simply wrap them in foil, or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Easy-peasy.
To make these gluten free ice cream sandwiches, I took a big scoop of dairy-free ice cream and sandwiched it between two honey grahams. Delicious. Seriously delicious. Just to make it more fun for my girls, and being that we are in a festive holiday seasons, I dipped them in chocolate and crushed candy canes.
Super fun and super easy and very inexpensive compared to buying boxes of gluten-free ice cream sandwiches from the store. A box of honey grahams makes 8 ice cream sandwiches.
Did you make these gluten free ice cream sandwiches? Please leave me a comment below letting me know what you thought and what type of ice cream you used.
- 1 box Schar Honey Grahams (or your favorite graham cracker)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, slightly softened (you can use dairy free)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 candy cane, crushed
- Line a small cookie sheet or plate with wax paper.
- Place 8 Honey Grahams on the wax paper.
- Scoop one full-sized ice cream scoops worth of ice cream into the center of each Honey Graham.
- Top with a second honey graham and press down lightly to help sandwich the ice cream between the Honey Grahams.
- Place ice cream sandwiches in the freezer for 1 hour.
- After the ice cream sandwiches are firm, place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small microwaveable safe dish and heat for 30 seconds at a time until melted (approximately 60 seconds). If you don’t have a microwave, simple heat in a small saucepan on the stove.
- Stir melted chocolate with a spoon until smooth.
- Dip the ends of each ice cream sandwich into the chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy cane. Place it back on the wax paper and repeat until all 8 ice cream sandwiches are dipped.
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer. Serve frozen.
Serving Size:1 ice cream sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.