By Wendy Stoltz / Last Modified On January 15, 2023
This Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake is ready in less than five minutes and will make you swoon. There are only a few ingredients in this gluten free mug cake recipe that most people have on hand.
If you love mug cakes you'll want to make my Gluten Free Mug Coffee Cake. My Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake is also a reader favorite.
Gluten Free Chocolate Mug Cake
You are either going to tell me I'm crazy or you are going to think I'm a genius. Imagine making a warm, soft chocolate cake using ten quick ingredients, two coffee mugs, and three total minutes of cook time. Don't believe me? Give it a try.
This recipe makes two mug cakes. If you're not interested in sharing with a friend, you could eat one now and save the other for later. I suggest you share because sharing is caring. You can top this gluten free mug cake with your favorite frosting, a dusting of powdered sugar, or some whipped cream.
You can also enjoy this gluten free chocolate mug cake plain. It's delicious and chocolaty on its own.
Gluten Free Mug Cake
Don't want to eat cake out of a mug because your conscience is telling you it's just wrong then simply invert it onto a plate and top with your favorite frosting, whipped cream, or ice cream. OR, if you add all three, then it becomes a mug cake sundae. To-die-for!
Mug cakes have become my new obsession. They are super quick to make and they are individually portioned, so I don't overindulge. This Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake is my new favorite.
How to make gluten free chocolate mug cake
- In a 12oz-16oz mug or a small mixing bowl, add egg, buttermilk (or milk), vanilla extract and sugar.
- Mix until combined.
- Add the cocoa, gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, salt, and vinegar.
- Continue to mix the batter until all ingredients are incorporated and the batter appears smooth.
- Divide the batter between two 12-16 ounce microwaveable mugs, or ramekins.
- Microwave each mug separately for 1 minute or until risen and firm on the top.
The numbered steps above match the numbered photos. This is for illustration purposes to show you how to make a gluten free mug cake. Please see the printable recipe card below.
You'll almost always have everything you need to make this Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake. It uses standard ingredients that are in most gluten-free kitchens. I haven't tried making an egg-free version. The egg is essential in this recipe as it helps give it the rise it needs to cook quickly.
Looking for a grain free version? Alyssa from Everyday Maven has an amazing recipe for Chocolate Mug Cake (Paleo).
Did you make this gluten free chocolate mug cake? Please leave me a comment below letting me know what you thought and what you topped it with!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake
This Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake is ready in less than five minutes and will make you swoon. You will never go back to regular baked cakes again!
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil (liquid)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (this is a dash)
- ¼ teaspoon white or rice vinegar
- In a 12oz-16oz mug, combine the egg and oil with a fork. Stir in the buttermilk (or milk), vanilla extract and sugar. Add the cocoa, gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, salt, and vinegar. Continue to mix the batter until all ingredients are incorporated and the batter appears smooth.
- Divide the batter between two 12-16 ounce microwaveable mugs or ramekins.
- Microwave each mug separately for 1 minutes or until risen and firm on the top. The time may vary depending on the size and shape of your mug.
- Serve warm with ice cream or cooled with your favorite frosting or whipped cream.
Dairy-Free Option - Use almond milk or coconut milk to make this dairy free.
Serving Size:½ mug cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 8g