This Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake is ready in less than five minutes and will make you swoon. You will never go back to regular baked cakes again!
You are either going to tell me I’m crazy or your going to think I’m a genius. Imagine making a warm, soft chocolate cake using ten quick ingredients, two coffee mugs, and three total minutes of cook time.
Don’t believe me? Give it a try.
This recipe makes two mug cakes. If you’re not interested in sharing with a friend, you could eat one now and save the other for later. I suggest you share because sharing is caring 😉
Don’t want to eat cake out of a mug because your conscience is telling you it’s just wrong then simply invert it onto a plate and top with your favorite frosting, whipped cream, or ice cream.
OR, if you add all three, then it becomes a mug cake sundae. To-die-for!
Mug cakes have become my new obsession. They are super quick to make and they are individually portioned, so I don’t overindulge.
This Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug cake is my new favorite.
You’ll almost always have everything you need to make this Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake. It uses standard ingredients that are in most gluten-free kitchens. I haven’t tried making an egg-free version. The egg is essential in this recipe as it helps give it the rise it needs to cook.
Looking for a grain free version? Alyssa from Everyday Maven has an amazing recipe for Chocolate Mug Cake (Paleo).
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or coconut oil (liquid)
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or whole milk*
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (this is a dash)
- 1/4 teaspoon white or rice vinegar[br][br]
- *Substitution Solution - Use almond milk or coconut milk to make this dairy free![br][br]
- In a 12oz-16oz mug, combine the egg and oil with a fork. Stir in the buttermilk (or milk), vanilla extract and sugar. Add the cocoa, gluten-free flour blend, baking powder, salt, and vinegar. Continue to mix the batter until all ingredients are incorporated and the batter appears smooth.
- Divide the batter between two 12-16 ounce microwaveable mugs. Microwave each mug separately for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until risen and firm on the top. The time may vary depending on the size and shape of your mug. I recommend starting with the lowest time and adding time if needed.
- Serve warm with ice cream or cooled with your favorite frosting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 721 Total Fat: 43g Saturated Fat: 35g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 38mg Carbohydrates: 83g Sugar: 53g Protein: 5g