Buttery, bursting with rich chocolate chips, and perfect any day of the week – these Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones are simple to make and taste incredible.
Special thanks to Ryze Gluten Free Flour for partnering with me for Celiac Awareness month and sponsoring this recipe and post.
May is Celiac Awareness month. It’s a month dedicated to spreading awareness around Celiac Disease and supporting those living with Celiac Disease. Although my family and I are Non-Celiac Gluten-Intolerant, we experience similar symptoms as those with Celiac Disease, or someone with a wheat allergy. We enjoy a gluten-free lifestyle.
We cook most of our meals at home and enjoy developing (and taste-testing) new recipes each week. This week I’m sharing these Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chips Scones.
Have you ever gone into a coffee shop and swooned over the scones in the case? I have. Just a couple of weeks ago I stopped into a local mom and pop place that I hadn’t visited before.
The coffee was amazing and I was starving. They carried local gluten-free baked goods, including gluten-free chocolate chip scones, but they were stored next to the glutinous ones, so I didn’t feel safe eating them.
The rest of that day I thought about the scones. I wanted to enjoy one with my coffee.
I knew if I didn’t make some, that I’d be craving them for the rest of the week. Scones are pretty simple to make and you can enjoy them as-is or with toppings like lemon curd, fresh cream, honey, butter, etc.
I like mine with lemon curd – even the chocolate ones. I know it sounds weird, but you should try it. It’s a sweet and tart thing. Yum.
I made Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones and went back to the coffee shop the next day. I happily ate my scone, and sipped on my smooth coffee. If you like scones, you’re going to love these.
I posted the video above for how I made these scones to show you how easy they are to make.
They don’t require a ton of ingredients and they come out of the oven ready to enjoy.
This recipe makes eight good sized scones. You can store them for a couple of days in a container, or freeze half the dough if you don’t want to make all eight at once.
- 6 tablespoons dairy-free butter, room temperature (or regular butter)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup dairy-free milk (or regular milk)
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups RYZE Yellow Bag Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 cup gluten-free quick cooking oats
- 1 cup gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF(180°C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream dairy-free butter and sugar. Add in the egg and mix just until incorporated.
- Add dairy-free milk, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until well incorporated.
- Stir in oats and chocolate chips. You may need to use your hands to really work them in.
- Divide the dough into two balls. Place dough balls onto the parchment lined cookie sheet, gently press down on the tops of each dough ball and shape them into circles, about ¾ inch thick. Cut both circles into quarters, and pull them at least 1-inch apart. This will help with even baking.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes or until set. The centers should be firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before eating.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days.
Serving Size:1 scone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337 Total Fat: 8g Carbohydrates: 57g Protein: 12g