By Wendy Stoltz / Last Modified On January 15, 2023
A simple gluten-free quiche recipe with the perfect flaky crust and creamy custard filling. Customize it with your favorite ham, sausage, bacon, or veggies. The beauty of an easy to make quiche recipe is its perfect from breakfast or brunch. The added bonus is that it can be made ahead for those busy special occasion months like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Mother's Day.
If you are looking for more gluten-free breakfast ideas, you might like my gluten-free breakfast casserole. My gluten-free crepes are also easy to make. If you'd prefer this gluten-free quiche in bite size, try these gluten-free quiche bites.
Have you ever made donuts? You'll definitely want to make my gluten-free vanilla donuts. All recipes are simple to make, are incredible with brunch, and you can double or triple the recipes to feed a crowd.
GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE RECIPE
This gluten-free quiche recipe can be made using chopped ham, chopped veggies, bacon, or crumbled breakfast sausage. Add additional veggies you enjoy and customize it to your liking and taste. Scroll down for some suggestions.
You can also use my gluten-free pie crust recipe, or your favorite gluten-free pie crust.
WHY YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE THIS GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE
Perfect for all occasions - Around the holidays we will make 3-4 quiches and freeze them for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning. We also like to make quiche for brunch on Mother's Day.
Make it ahead of time - You can bake this quiche the night before and reheat it when you're ready to serve it. You can also bake it and freeze it for a later date.
Use a store-bought pie crust - I use my gluten-free pie crust recipe, which I included in the recipe card below. You can use store bought gluten-free pie crust if that works easier for you.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE
Move onto the quiche filling if you're using a store-bought pie crust.
FOR THE PIE CRUST:
Flour - All-purpose gluten-free flour blend. If you're new to gf flours read more on gluten-free flours for different uses.
Salt - Omit if using salted butter.
Xanthan gum - 1 teaspoon xanthan gum - omit if you use a blend that has xanthan.
Butter - 1 stick butter or palm shortening or shortening.
Milk - 4-5 tablespoons milk, cold, use more depending on the consistency of the pie crust.
FOR THE QUICHE FILLING:
Eggs - 6 large eggs at room temperature.
Dairy - Half heavy cream and half milk
Seasoning - Salt and black pepper
Protein - Use cooked ham, cooked bacon, or cooked sausage crumbles
Cheese - Shredded cheddar cheese for filing and to add on top. You can try other semi-hard cheese like Asiago, Jarlsberg, Swiss cheese, or Gruyère cheese.
Optional additions - Chopped onions or chopped bell pepper, or both.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR THIS GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE
Mixing bowls - These Pyrex mixing bowls come in handy.
If you have any questions about making gluten-free quiche, please leave a comment, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE
- Par-bake the pie crust for 15 minutes in a greased pie plate while you prepare your filling ingredients. Add eggs, half and half, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven and sprinkle the ham and 1 cup of cheese into the bottom of the pie crust. If you want to add chopped green onion, or other veggies, add them here.
- Pour the egg mixture over top of the chopped ingredients in the pie crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the center is completely set. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm and enjoy!
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions in gluten-free quiche, please see the complete recipe below.
IS HAM GLUTEN-FREE?
While pork is naturally gluten-free and most manufacturers don't use gluten in their processing, there is a chance that gluten could be introduced during the processing. Always check labels.
IS THERE A SUBSTITUTE FOR EGGS IN QUICHE?
I have not tried it, but on doing research, a mixture of 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder and 3 tablespoons (45 grams) of water has been used. This can be used to replace 1 egg, so you need to adjust these amounts to accommodate 6 eggs. If you try it let us know.
HOW CAN YOU MAKE DAIRY-FREE GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE?
When making quiche dairy-free, simply swap the milk with a plain unsweetened dairy-free milk and the cheese with your favorite dairy-free equivalent.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN QUICHE AND FRITTATA?
Quiche has a gluten-free quiche crust, and frittata is crustless. Quiche has a lovely egg custard pie. Frittata is really just a crustless quiche.
WORKING WITH GLUTEN-FREE FLOURS
When working with or measuring gluten-free flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level. Do not scoop your measuring cup into the gluten-free flour. The best method really is to weigh the gluten-free flour, but I don't have the ingredient weights for all my recipes yet.
HOW DO I STORE THIS GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE?
It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
CAN I MAKE THIS GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE AHEAD OF TIME?
The gluten-free quiche recipe can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
CAN I FREEZE THIS GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE?
You can freeze quiche for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat before serving.
HOW CAN I PREVENT A SOGGY GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE CRUST?
Dry your veggies - If you are adding mushrooms or blanched vegetables, make sure to dry them before adding them to the quiche. The moisture makes the quiche crust soggy.
Parbake the crust - Always parbake the crust prior to adding the filling.
Use egg white - If you keep on having a soggy crust, then I suggest you brush egg white on your cooled parbaked crust. Bake it for a couple of minutes until set, and then add your filling. This helps to form a barrier between the crust and the filling.
Trust me, you want your crust crisp.
WHAT FILLINGS CAN I ADD TO THIS GF QUICHE?
The quiche recipes are limitless, here are a few ideas of what you can add:
Add different veggies - You can add mushrooms, broccoli filling or cauliflower. The options are really limitless when it comes to veggies, just ensure you remove the moisture from them to prevent your quiche from being soggy.
Add fresh herbs - Try adding basil, parsley, and dill with other protein or veggie combinations.
Add in different spices - Add in nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper or cayenne pepper.
Add in different protein - Use cooked ham, cooked bacon, or cooked sausage crumbles or other protein of your choice. Alternatively, omit protein completely and make it vegetarian.
Add in different cheese - I would suggest semi-hard grated cheese like Asiago, Jarlsberg, Swiss cheese, or Gruyère cheese.
Try a ham quiche, broccoli quiche, cheese quiche, and mushroom quiche, they're all so good!
CAN I MAKE THIS GF QUICHE RECIPE WITHOUT A QUICHE CRUST?
Yes, you can make this quiche without a gf pie crust. I would encourage you to at least try it with the crust. It just takes it to another level.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH GLUTEN-FREE QUICHE
- Gluten-free French toast casserole - This gluten-free French toast casserole is so easy to make and perfect for breakfast or brunch.
- Gluten-free cinnamon rolls - These from-scratch gluten-free cinnamon rolls are tender and fluffy.
For the pie crust:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ½ teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if you use a blend that has xanthan)
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), cold - cut into small pieces (or palm shortening, or shortening)
- 4-5 tablespoons milk, cold, use more depending on the consistency of the pie crust
For the quiche filing:
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup half and half (or heavy cream, or milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked ham, chopped (or cooked bacon, or cooked sausage crumbles)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese + ½ cup shredded cheese for the top
- Optional: ¼ cup chopped onions or chopped bell pepper, or both
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For the pie crust: In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and xanthan gum.
- Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut the butter into the flour mixture. The butter should resemble the size of small peas.
- Add milk. Use your hands to work the milk into the dough, until the ingredients are combined and the dough forms a ball. Add more milk if needed.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of wax paper. Roll dough ball between two pieces of wax paper until about 10”-11” in diameter.
- Remove the top piece of wax paper and place the pie pan upside down on dough.
- Flip the pan and pie crust dough over so the pie pan is right side up. Peel the wax paper off. Repair and pinch the gluten free pie crust dough into shape.
- Par-bake for 15 minutes while you prepare your filling ingredients.
- For the filling: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt and pepper.
Remove the pie crust from the oven and sprinkle the ham and 1 cup of cheese into the bottom of the pie crust.
- Pour the egg mixture over top.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the center is completely set. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
- Pie crust option: This recipe uses my pie crust recipe but you can use a store bought, uncooked gluten-free pie crust.
- Make ahead and freeze: The quiche can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
Anthony's Xanthan Gum, 1 lb, Batch Tested Gluten Free, Keto Friendly, Product of USA
Wilton Excelle Elite Non-Stick Tart Pan and Quiche Pan with Removable Bottom, 11-Inch
GOURMEX White, Fluted Quiche Baking Dish | Ceramic Pan | Perfect for Baking Tart Pies, Crème Brulee, Custard Dishes and Cheesecake | Porcelain (8.75" Round)
Pyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.