I can’t wait for you to bite into this dreamy, tender, Gluten-Free Raspberry Lime Mojito Cupcake. The subtle flavors of rum, mint, lime, and raspberries will have you dreaming of vacation.
Have you ever heard of the show Cupcake Wars? It’s on the Food Network, and it’s hosted by Justin Willman (he and his wife are sooo fun).
My friend Brianna (from Flippin Delicious) and I were asked to compete in a cupcake battle hosted by Justin Willman at the Food Everything Conference in May.
Not only did we make an amazing gluten-free raspberry lime mojito cupcake, we also got raving reviews from the judges.
The judging panel was comprised of previous cupcake wars winners, and the audience was made up of the best food bloggers in the world.
Talk about pressure! The competition was fierce and in the end the judges took almost ten minutes to decide who the winner was. That says a lot about the four teams that competed and the wonderful cupcakes we made.
We didn’t end up winning, but we were OK with it. We had a ton of fun and we were proud to represent the Gluten-Free community with our Gluten-Free Raspberry Lime Mojito Cupcakes.
Brianna and I couldn’t test all the amazing looking cupcakes, as we had the only gluten-free cupcake, but they all looked delicious (and the judges devoured every one of them).
We had so much fun working together to come up with our Gluten-Free Raspberry Lime Mojito cupcake recipe.
Both of us wanted to share the recipe with you. I’m posting the cupcake recipe here on Gluten-Free Palate, and Brianna is posting the BEST Gluten-Free Raspberry Lime Mojito Frosting over at Flippin Delicious.
You really need both recipes in order to enjoy the full deliciousness of our cupcake. Don’t worry though, the recipe is crazy easy.
Don’t forget to get the Raspberry Buttercream Frosting and read more about our adventure over at Flippin Delicious.
For the cupcakes:
- 1/4 cup white rum
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 11/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 11/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- Zest from two large limes
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Brush and frosting for Cupcakes:
- 2 tablespoons white rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Top with Brianna's Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
- Place the white rum and mint leaves in a liquid measuring cup and muddle the mint to extract mint oil; set aside.
- While the mint is steeping in the rum, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar together until light, and fluffy.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add the eggs one at at time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the lime zest, vanilla extract and two tablespoons of your mint/rum mixture (save the other 2 tablespoons for the frosting and brush).
- Mix until combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed low. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until combine. Add the buttermilk and mix just until combined.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake for approximately 23-25 minutes or until just slightly golden and the centers are set.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make your rum/lime brush. To make the rum/lime brush, combine the 2 tablespoons of rum and 3 tablespoons of lime juice in a small bowl; set aside.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 to 10 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with the rum/lime brush.
- Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting them.
- Frosting with Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
- Top with a raspberry and mint leaf.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 273 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 302mg Carbohydrates: 40g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 21g Protein: 4g