Enjoy these gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free strawberry thumbprint cookies any time of the year. Who knew a thumbprint cookie could be this good for you and still taste amazing.
Thumbprint cookies are traditionally a buttery shortbread-like cookie rolled in finely chopped nuts and filled with jam or preserves.
My mother made shortbread cookies between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I’ve been known to make them during the spring and summer months as well.
Both my daughters are gluten-free and one of them also dairy-free.
Up until a few months ago my girls hadn’t had the pleasure of trying thumbprint cookies.
I really felt like they were missing out and I want them to have the opportunity to enjoy all the traditional treats I had growing up.
You can use no-sugar-added strawberry preserves to keep these refined-sugar-free as well (a Paleo option).
This recipe is loaded with healthy fats and full bodied flavors.
The combination of the pecans, maple syrup, and strawberry preserves reminds me of a PB&J (peanut butter and jelly sandwich) on whole wheat, a childhood favorite of mine that I still enjoy, just on gluten-free bread.
If you are looking for more grain-free recipes, these Paleo Lemon Bars from Food Faith Fitness are super scrumptious and tangy.
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- no sugar added strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the pecans in a food processor and processes for 1-2 minutes or until the pecans start to turn to butter. You should see the pecans near the bottom of the processor turn to pecan “butter”. The pecans at the top of the processor should resemble pecan meal or pecan flour.
- Add the maple syrup, baking powder, and salt. Process for an additional 20-30 seconds or until your dough forms a ball.
- Using a cookie scoop (or a tablespoon), scoop out cookie dough balls approximately 1 inch thick.
- Place them on your parchment lined cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Press the center with your thumb, or the back of a spoon, until you make a small crater.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry preserves in the center of each cookie crater.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 93 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 44mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 1g