Tender and fall-off-the-bone good, these Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs are going to be a new favorite dish. It's the best pressure cooker beef short ribs recipe, in my opinion.
You are going to love this beef short rib recipe!
Serve these Instant Pot Short Ribs with Red Roasted Potatoes and a salad or grilled veggies for a complete meal. If you like to eat your beef short ribs with cornbread you're going to want to check out my Gluten-Free Cornbread recipe.
Why You Will Love the Recipe
- It takes less than an hour to cook
- Naturally gluten- and sugar-free recipe
- Tender, savory meat
- Easy to make ahead
INSTANT POT BEEF SHORT RIBS RECIPE
Looking for an instant pot short ribs recipe? Or maybe a pressure cooker beef short rib recipe?
This easy beef short ribs recipe produces the best beef short ribs and the sauce is going to have you spooning it on everything.
Now we make instant pot short ribs at least twice a month. Keep an eye on the sales, as they go down all the time. You can also get the non-ultra version. It's priced reasonably.
For more meal ideas check out my Gluten-Free Main Dishes.
This instant pot short ribs recipe is so insanely easy, and delicious that you are going to want to make it over and over again.
Pressure Cooker Beef Short Ribs
This Pressure Cooker Beef Short Ribs recipe is a spin off my traditional slower cooker Savory Beef Short Ribs. The instant pot beef short ribs are just as tender and flavorful as when you cook them in a slow cooker.
The Instant Pot has several settings, depending on which model you have. I used the "Pressure Cook" setting, also known as the manual setting to make these.
Some people have a "slow cooker" setting. That setting is to make the instant pot act like a slow cooker.
You'll want to use the pressure cooker setting for these instant pot beef short ribs. The setting is what makes these beef short ribs tender.
How long should you cook short ribs in Instant Pot?
It only takes about 40 - 50 minutes for most beef short rib recipes in the instant pot. When it beeps do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining steam.
40 minutes may seem like a long time, but most short rib recipes take 6-8 hours in a slow cooker.
The instant pot speeds up the process without compromising on taste or texture in the instant pot short ribs.
Pressure Cooker Ribs
These Pressure Cooker Beef Short Ribs were on the table in less than an hour. I like to serve mine with bok choy and mashed sweet potatoes.
They are naturally gluten-free, and sugar-free, making them Paleo and Primal friendly (for those who eat Paleo or Primal).
The combination of sweet and savory flavors brings a lite smoky BBQ flavor to these short ribs (not sweet at all). These instant pot short ribs are super savory.
You can also use beef rib fingers in this recipe, just reduce the time by 10 minutes.
What is a beef rib finger?
Beef rib Fingers are the thin strips of beef cut from between individual ribs. It's essentially the rib, but without the bone. It's nice an tender when cooked correctly.
This instant pot short ribs recipe is as simple as mixing the spices, or use your favorite rub, and sear the meat. Add in the other ingredients and let the Instant Pot do its magic.
As an added bonus, not only do you get to enjoy amazing beef short ribs, but the bones take on a spicy flavor and are super tasty when used to make bone broth.
Tips and tricks to making perfect beef short ribs:
- Follow the directions and don't skip steps.
- When you brown the short ribs, make sure they have a good brown crust to them.
- Add the ingredients in the order they are listed. If you have questions on substitutions, just ask.
- When the short ribs are done, allow them to go through the cool down cycle on your instant pot for at least 10 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure.
- Make sure to spoon some extra sauce over the beef short ribs before serving.
- Store leftover beef short ribs in the refrigerator with the sauce covering it. It will help keep the meat from drying out.
Can I cook instant pot short ribs from frozen?
Yes. You can start with frozen beef short ribs for this instant pot beef short rib recipe. Simply add 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Can I quick release my instant pot short ribs?
Instant pots kick into a slow release, or "cool down" function when the cook time is complete. For best results, allow your instant pot beef short ribs to sit in the instant pot while it naturally releases the pressure (about 30 minutes).
You can also "quick" release the pressure when the cooking time is complete. Your instant pot beef short ribs will still be fall-off-the-bone tender.
How do I cook beef short ribs in Instant Pot?
- Mix the first five ingredients (the spices).
- Rub the spices on the outside of the beef short rib; set aside.
- Set your instant pot to sauté. Drizzle oil into instant pot.
- Using tongs, lower short ribs into Instant Pot. Sear all sides.
- Remove short ribs; set aside. Add tomato paste, water, balsamic, Dijon mustard, cocoa, and garlic to the Instant Pot.
- Mix until combined.
- Add short ribs.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place. Turn the settings to "Pressure Cooker", and set the timer for 40 minutes.
Use the quick release when it's done. Serve hot with additional sauce spooned over the top of the short ribs.
This year we're really trying to get better about making healthy high-protein meals at home.
We will definitely be rotating these Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs into our meal plan at least once a month. You can never have too many leftover beef short ribs.
How to cook instant pot short ribs in red wine
Adding wine to instant pot short beef ribs is a great way to add more flavor to the dish! Use a splash of dry red wine suitable for drinking, such as Pinot Noir, Merlot, or Cabernet.
Why are my ribs tough in the Instant Pot?
Usually, the ribs turn out tough if they are too large or too thick and the cooking time just isn't enough. The trick is to buy racks that weigh about three pounds each; cut the slab in half before placing it into the instant pot.
How do you get fall off the bone ribs?
To make your ribs fall off the bone, allow the meat to sit in the instant pot while it naturally releases the pressure, which is about 30 minutes after the cooking is done.
Is it better to slow cook or pressure cook ribs?
It all depends on how much time you have. Beef ribs are thicker and take longer to cook. Typically, it takes an hour in an instant pot and up to six hours in the slow cooker.
Do you have to brown short ribs?
There is no rule that says you must brown short ribs. However, browning takes a few minutes and helps add rich flavor to instant pot short ribs!
How many short ribs per person should I plan on?
It depends on the weight and size of the short ribs. Generally, it is recommended to plan 1 to 3 short beef ribs per person. Anyway, everyone loves leftovers!
How I serve these braised Instant Pot short ribs:
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cobb
- Gluten-Free Biscuits
- Lemon Wok Asparagus
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole
If you make this instant pot beef ribs recipe, please stop back by and let me know what you thought! You can leave a starred rating and a comment below.
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon sage
- 2 lbs. beef short rib
- 2 tablespoons high temperature oil
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 and ½ cups water or broth
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 cloves garlic, whole
- Mix the first five ingredients (the spices) and rub on the outside of the beef short rib; set aside.
- Set your instant pot to sauté.
- Drizzle oil into instant pot.
- Using tongs, lower short ribs into Instant Pot.
- Sear all sides.
- Remove short ribs; set aside.
- Add tomato paste, water, balsamic, Dijon mustard, cocoa, and garlic to the Instant Pot and mix with a spoon until combined.
- Add short ribs.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place.
- Make sure your steam vent is turned to closed.
- Turn the settings to "Pressure Cooker", and set the timer for 40 minutes.
- Once the 40 minutes are up, let the Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes.
- Carefully press the pressure release valve.
- Once all the pressure is released, unlock the lid.
- Spoon sauce over each piece of beef short rib and serve warm.
Please note that the nutritional information may not be accurate. It depends on how many short rib you make, and how big they are. Also, how much sauce you drizzle over the short ribs plays into the total nutritional count.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs, Premium Silicone BPA Free Non-Stick Stainless Steel BBQ Cooking Grilling Locking Food Tongs, 9-Inch & 12-Inch
Premium Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper Grinder Set of 2 - Adjustable Ceramic Sea Salt Grinder & Pepper Grinder - Tall Glass Salt and Pepper Shakers - Pepper Mill & Salt Mill with Free Funnel & EBook
Serving Size:2 short ribs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 151mgSodium: 563mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 40g