Easy to make Black Bean Soup that is full of flavor, protien, and tender vegetables. You can turn up the heat in your kitchen with this savory, flavorful soup or keep the spice low in this black bean soup recipe.
For more recipe ideas check out my Gluten Free Recipes archive.
Black Bean Soup
There’s something about a hot bowl of black bean soup at the end of the day that’s comforting. I know that soup is supposed to be a food for the colder months.
And admittedly, yes, there’s no better food during the holiday season that a bowl of soup. But why would you reserve such an amazing food for just a few months out of the year?
I love making soups year round. I start with beef broth when I make this Black Bean Soup Recipe, and add in the meat, veggies, black beans, and spices. The broth gives a good foundation and really helps pull the flavors together.
Are black beans gluten free?
Yes, black beans are naturally gluten free. Make sure to check labels on canned black beans to ensure not gluten was added during processing.
Can I use dry beans in soup?
Yes, you can use dry beans to make soup but first you need to soak them. You’ll want to soak black beans to remove some of the indigestible complex sugars that cause gas.
How do you soak back beans
There are two methods I like to use when soaking dried black beans. Both methods work great:
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover the beans with two inches of water. Let the beans sit overnight, or for up to 24 hours.
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring water to a boil and continue to boil for 2-3 minutes.
Can I freeze Black Bean Soup
Yes, you can freeze black bean soup. This black bean soup recipe tends to thicken in the refrigerator or freezer. When you are ready to enjoy it, simply defrost it and add in additional broth until it’s at the desired consistency.
How to make black bean soup
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add diced sausage and ground turkey; saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add onion and red bell pepper and saute for another 4-5 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin, chili powder and allspice.
- Stir in the green chiles and tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes. Rinse and drain one can of black beans. Add drained black beans, and un-drained black beans.
- Add beef broth to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
After one bite of this Black Bean Soup you’ll be hooked. Soup is one of those foods that I’ll honestly eat bowl after bowl. It’s so filling, and so good. See the full black bean soup recipe below for ingredients and full instructions.
If you make this black bean soup recipe, please stop by and let me know what you thought!
Happy Cooking and Baking,
Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 373mg Carbohydrates: 27g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 4g Protein: 22g