You've found your easy and reliable gluten-free frosting for all your cakes and cupcakes. Made in just one bowl and done in under 10 minutes who could ask for more!
This is going to be your go-to gluten-free frosting for all your baking delights. It's an airily light, fluffy frosting and is oh so smooth too.
GLUTEN-FREE CAKE FROSTING RECIPE
So, what I love about this frosting is the way you can change it up. Add some gluten-free gel coloring for Holiday occasions or add different extracts for an assortment of flavors too.
If you're dairy-free change up the butter and milk with my suggested variations.
And it is just so smooth, creamy, and decadent that no one can resist eating it straight out of the bowl too.
WHY YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE THIS GLUTEN-FREE FROSTING
Handful of ingredients - You only need 4 ingredients for this tasty gluten-free frosting.
Smooth- The texture of this frosting is super smooth.
Customizable - This gluten-free frosting is easily customizable by using different extracts or you can also make chocolate frosting too. Add some gluten-free gel coloring for fun too!
Quick to make - Everyone has 10 minutes to make this gluten-free buttercream frosting.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN-FREE FROSTING
Butter - unsalted butter, softened. If you want a whiter frosting use inexpensive butter.
Sugar - powdered sugar, sifted for the smoothest frosting.
Milk - Use whole milk or any milk substitute of your choice. Here's some suggestions: coconut milk, cashew milk, soy milk or almond milk. Depending on your choice you will get the flavor from the milk.
Extract - Use regular vanilla extract or you can easily change the flavor on this gluten-free buttercream frosting by adding your favorite gluten-free flavor extracts.
Salt - Pinch of salt.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR THIS GLUTEN-FREE FROSTING
Handheld mixer - I like this hand-mixer. Choose one that's got enough power and speed.
Piping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit - I like to use this Piping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit. There are more sophisticated kits available. Choose one that meets your needs or buy piping bags and just a few tips. I like to use the Wilton 1M frosting tip.
If you have any questions about making Gluten-Free Frosting, please leave a comment and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE FROSTING
- Get your ingredients ready.
- In a large mixing bowl add the butter and using a hand mixer cream the butter for 2-3 minutes until smooth. TIP: The butter needs to be at room temperature.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and mix to combine. TIP: Reduce the milk and add more powdered sugar if you want a thicker frosting.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy. TIP: Sift the powdered sugar for a super smooth frosting.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
- If the buttercream is too thick add 1 teaspoon of milk until desired consistency is reached. If it’s too thin, then add more powdered sugar.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Flavor variations and chocolate buttercream frosting are mentioned in the notes below.
- Ice your cupcakes or cake.
TIP FOR MAKING THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE FROSTING
Here's some tips to get the best buttercream frosting:
Sift - Sift the powdered sugar so you get a smooth frosting
Soften the butter - Don't use the butter straight from the fridge. Leave it on your counter for at least 30 minutes. To test if it is ready to use, place your finger on the butter and if it indents it's ready to use.
Whiter buttercream - If you want a whiter buttercream you need to use a less expensive butter. Expensive butter makes the frosting more yellow.
Firmer frosting - If you want a firmer frosting, reduce the liquid content. I use less milk and add more powdered sugar.
HOW TO STORE AND HOW LONG WILL THIS GLUTEN-FREE FROSTING LAST?
This can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. When you are ready to use it bring it up to room temperature. You can also whip it in the mixer if desired.
CAN YOU BUY GLUTEN-FREE FROSTING?
Yes, you can, view the next question for some suggestions.
WHAT FROSTING IS GLUTEN-FREE?
There are a few gluten-free frostings, but this recipe takes minimal time to make so you can save your money. But Betty Crocker's Ready-to-Spread Frosting are labeled “gluten-free.” They are:
- Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Milk Chocolate Frosting
- Betty Crocker Ready-to-serve Soft Whipped Frosting, Cream Cheese
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Lemon Frosting
As always, check the labels.
CAN YOU CHANGE THE FLAVOR OF GLUTEN-FREE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING?
You can easily change the flavor on this gluten-free buttercream frosting by adding your favorite gluten-free flavor extracts. You can also color the frosting by adding gluten-free gel food color.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING?
To make gluten-free chocolate buttercream frosting add ½ to ¾ cup cocoa powder along with the powdered sugar. Mix to combine and use as needed.
CAN I FREEZE THIS GLUTEN-FREE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING?
Yes, you can. Store it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use it remove it from the freezer and leave it overnight to defrost in the refrigerator. You can whip it again with your mixer to reach the desired consistency.
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE TO MAKE THIS A DAIRY-FREE FROSTING?
Butter - You can use vegetable shortening as a dairy-free option.
Milk - Use whole milk or any milk substitute of your choice for dairy-free. Here's some suggestions: coconut milk, cashew milk, soy milk or almond milk. Depending on your choice you will get the flavor from the milk.
- ½ lb unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tbsp milk, or more as needed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl add the butter and using a hand mixer cream the butter for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and mix to combine.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the milk, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
- If the buttercream is too thick add 1 teaspoon of milk until desired consistency is reached. If it’s too thin then add more powdered sugar.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Sifting the powdered sugar will result in a super smooth frosting.
- The butter should be softened so it can blend easily with the sugar. You can soften the butter by leaving it for 30-60 minutes on the kitchen counter.
- If the frosting is too thick when ready to use, leave it on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes to soften a little bit before frosting your cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1704Total Fat: 93gSaturated Fat: 58gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 247mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 222gFiber: 0gSugar: 218gProtein: 2g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.