By/ Last Modified On June 19, 2023
This gluten-free French toast casserole is incredibly easy to make and is perfect for any breakfast or brunch. With its fluffy custardy center and caramelized edges, this make-ahead casserole is topped with strawberries, blueberries, and honey butter-roasted pecans. You’ll make this over and over – it’s sincerely one of the best gluten-free brunch recipes!
We love that this is a perfect gluten-free overnight French toast casserole. Simply pop it in the oven if you have guests (or for any other special occasions that require feeding a crowd). When paired with a simple gluten-free breakfast casserole, you’ll be able to feed an army!
Using bread slices? We also have a recipe for gluten-free French toast that’s just delicious and easy to make.
Why Is This the Ultimate Gluten-Free French Toast Casserole?
Who doesn’t love a make-ahead casserole that comes out perfect every time? It’s ideal for holidays, sleepovers, and team meets – and it takes very little time out of your busy schedule. You’ll be sure to impress when you plop in your choice of fruit (we used blueberries and strawberries) and top with honey butter-roasted pecans.
Since this is genuinely easy, you can prep this recipe whenever the cravings strike!
This gluten-free overnight French toast recipe can be made 12-24 hours ahead of time.
Feeds a Crowd
This recipe is a great option for holidays, sleepovers, or any other time you need to feed a crowd.
With a handful of simple ingredients, many people already have everything they need.
Tip: Only have eggs? Try our delicious, gluten-free bread pudding recipe instead.
Don’t have strawberries or blueberries? Just about any fruit or jam would make this epically delicious. Don’t have toasted pecans? Get creative with cashews, almonds, or even chunky peanut butter! Pure maple syrup, caramel syrup, and yogurt are also great toppings!
Equipment Needed for Our French Toast Casserole Recipe
Casserole dish - I’ve used a 9x13-inch baking dish for this recipe
Measuring cup - For liquid ingredients, these tools provide you with exact measurements.
Mixing Bowl - One with a spout makes it easy to pour the custard mixture over French bread cubes.
Whisk - This is a kitchen staple that everyone should have.
Spatula - This tool ensures that you get all of the egg mixture out of your mixing bowl.
Step by Step: Making GF French Toast Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9x13-inch baking dish, and grease it with butter.
- Chop your gluten-free bread into 1” cubes and add to the baking dish. Bake for 5-7 minutes or just before it turns golden brown.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, brown sugar, melted butter, orange zest, and sea salt. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture evenly over the toasted bread pieces. Top with frozen blueberries and strawberries, then mix until combined.
- Bake uncovered for 60 minutes.
- Allow the French toast to cool slightly before sprinkling with cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Add the roasted nuts and fresh fruit.
For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the complete recipe below.
The #1 Tip for Making This Gluten-Free French Toast Bake
Just like every similar recipe, ensure your gluten-free bread is thoroughly toasted before starting this recipe. Dried-out bread soaks up the custard mixture better and is less likely to be soggy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My French Toast Casserole Soggy?
Your gluten-free bread was likely not dried out enough. Dried-out bread soaks up the custard mixture better, allowing for crispier edges.
How Do I Dry out Bread for French Toast?
Grease your baking dish, add 1” bread cubes, and bake for 5-7 minutes (right until it starts browning).
Can I Substitute Whole Milk for Plant Milk?
Instead of dairy milk, you can use a milk substitute so long as it creates a custard-like mixture. You can consider heavy cream, almond milk, coconut cream, or thicker plant-based milk.
Can I Use Regular Bread?
Yes, you can use regular bread in this recipe if you do not need a gluten-free dish.
Can You Make French Toast Casserole in Advance?
You can make all of the separate elements and store them until the next morning. Toasted bread cubes should be kept at room temperature. The custard should be covered and refrigerated. In the morning, combine and cook as recommended.
Can You Make Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free French Toast Casserole?
Absolutely. Instead of melted butter, you can use coconut oil. Instead of whole milk, choose a thick plant-based milk of your choice.
Can You Make This Gluten-Free French Toast Vegan?
Making French toast casserole vegan will be a bit difficult due to the six eggs required by this recipe. If you have success, please let us know in the comments!
How Do I Store Gluten-Free French Toast Casserole?
This casserole should be stored in an airtight container and can be refrigerated for up to 48 hours.
Can I Freeze This Gluten-Free French Toast Casserole?
Yes, this gluten-free French toast casserole can be frozen for up to three months. Wrap and seal tightly to protect it from freezer burn.
- 1 pound gluten-free white bread, cut into 1" cubes
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ cup chopped honey butter roasted pecans
- Powdered sugar and/or pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Add the bread cubes to the baking dish and bake for 5-7 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, brown sugar, melted butter, orange zest, and sea salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk until everything is well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the baked bread and stir to combine. Top with berries.
- Bake for 60 minutes, uncovered.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon on top.
- Add the roasted pecans and powdered sugar.
- You can prepare all of the casserole elements separately the night before and combine them in the morning.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
Glad Mixing Bowls with Pour Spout, Set of 3 | Nesting Design Saves Space | Non-Slip, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe Plastic | Kitchen Cooking and Baking Supplies, White
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Oblong Glass Baking Dish, Clear 9 x 13 inch (Set of 2)
Pyrex 3 Piece Glass Measuring Cup Set, Includes 1-Cup, 2-Cup, and 4-Cup Tempered Glass Liquid Measuring Cups, Dishwasher, Freezer, Microwave, and Preheated Oven Safe, Essential Kitchen Tools
NileHome Silicone Spatula Set, Rubber Spatula High Heat-Resistant Premium BPA-Free One Piece Seamless Design Cooking Spatulas Utensils Set For Kitchen 4pack(Black)
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Balloon Whisk
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 372mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 8g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used at the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.
Get More Great Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
Our team is dedicated to conducting (delicious) research to find the best gluten-free recipes for you and your loved ones. From our gluten-free French toast casserole to cinnamon rolls, breakfast is covered!
Looking to simplify meal prep? Purple Carrot delivers plant-based meal kits, prepared meals, and even frozen meals – straight to your door!