By/ Last Modified On February 19, 2023
Coconut and chocolate lovers, these gluten-free coconut macaroons are for you. With a soft, chewy center and crispy, golden exterior, you are going to enjoy the delicious combination of coconut and chocolate bite after bite.
I've included my expert tips so you can master these cookies in no time. They're perfect for gifting for the holiday season. Make them for cookie exchanges if you can resist the urge to stop eating them! Get your ingredients ready for this easy recipe!
If you love desserts like I do, try this gluten-free lemon cake. It will be the perfect addition to any holiday celebration. If you prefer gluten-free chocolate macarons and not macaroons these are so sweet and chocolatey. If you are looking for more coconut recipes, try this amazingly moist gluten-free coconut cake!
GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS RECIPE
I don't add condensed milk to my gluten-free coconut macaroons, so the texture is lighter and airier compared to other recipes.
Take a read through the ingredients section below for tips on selecting the correct products. These are naturally diary-free so make the perfect gifts for cookie exchanges. I love that I can also make them ahead of time.
WHY YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE THIS GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS
Made with simple ingredients - These gluten-free coconut macaroons are made with really simple ingredients you most probably have on hand too!
Perfect treat - They're the perfect treat for Passover or a holiday cookie for cookie exchanges.
Best of both worlds - This cookie has a combination of chocolate and coconut which is bliss for all coconut and chocolate lovers out their.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS
Coconut - Use shredded coconut. I use unsweetened coconut as I have added additional sugar to the recipe.
Sugar - I have used powdered sugar.
Extract - Use pure vanilla extract.
Salt and Water - Add kosher salt and water.
Eggs - 2 egg whites at room temperature this holds the cookies firmly together.
Lemon - Need 1 tsp lemon juice.
Chocolate chips - I've used bittersweet chocolate chips. You can also use dark chocolate or milk chocolate.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS
Mixing bowls - These Pyrex mixing bowls are so useful for baking.
Handheld mixer - I like this hand-mixer. Choose one that's got enough power and speed.
If you have any questions about making gluten-free coconut macaroons, please leave a comment, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS
MAKING YOUR GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the coconut with gluten-free flour, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and water in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and lemon juice until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Use a folded method so the air in the egg whites doesn't deflate.
4. Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through until the tops and edges are golden.
5. Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
DECORATING YOUR GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS:
1. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds, stirring between intervals until melted and smooth
2. Dip the cookies in the chocolate and tap off any excess. Place on a lined baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Let cool completely.
3. If there is any chocolate left, you may put it in a piping bag and drizzle it onto the macaroons.
4. If the chocolate gets hardened before you finish dipping macaroons, you may put it back in the microwave for 15 seconds.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions in gluten-free coconut macaroons, please see the complete recipe below.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS
Select the correct coconut - I've used shredded coconut that has no sugar added. Others prefer using a granola-type coconut.
Stiff egg whites - Ensure the egg whites are stiff in order for the gf coconut macaroons to hold their shape.
Mixture mustn't be too wet - Ensure the liquid measurements are exact. Too much moisture will cause the macaroons to lose shape.
Refrigerate the batter - You can place the batter in the fridge for 20 minutes if you are concerned, it will spread.
Bake for the correct time - When you see browning on the top of these gf coconut macaroons, they should be ready.
HOW DO I STORE MY GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS?
You may store these gluten-free macaroons in an airtight container at room temperature for about 7 days.
CAN I FREEZE GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS?
Yes, you have two options:
Freeze them once baked - You can freeze them once cooled in an airtight container.
Freeze the dough - You can shape them and then freeze them on a baking tray. Once frozen, place them in an airtight container or freezing bag, and use within 6 months. Don't defrost them, bake them directly from the freezer. Add on a few more minutes.
CAN YOU MAKE THESE GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can. You can either make the batter and shape the cookies and then freeze them and bake them later. Alternatively, make the recipe and then let them cool and store them in an airtight container for up to 7 days. You can also freeze them and defrost them when you need them.
CAN YOU MAKE A GLUTEN-FREE MACAROON RECIPE WITHOUT EGG WHITES?
No. Egg whites are the main component of these cookies, making them light and airy.
WHAT TYPE OF FLAVORING EXTRACT IS BEST?
I used vanilla extract, but others have used almond extract and have enjoyed the flavor.
ARE COCONUT MACAROONS GLUTEN-FREE?
Traditionally not, but this recipe is gluten-free as the flour is gluten-free as well as the other ingredients used.
CAN I USE ALMOND FLOUR IN THIS COCONUT MACAROONS RECIPE?
Unfortunately, no, you can't. Almond flour is a heavier flour and will weigh the fluffy light texture down.
WHAT CAN I DO IF COCONUT MACAROONS SPREAD WHILE BAKING?
Unfortunately, you cannot rectify it at that stage. When you make them remember these tips. Make sure your oven is at the correct temperature, whip your egg white correctly and lastly bake them for a little longer.
HOW DO YOU SHAPE YOUR GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT MACAROONS?
I've used a cookie scoop. Make sure they are shaped like a globe but flat on the bottom.
ARE THESE GF COCONUT MACAROONS DAIRY-FREE?
Yes, they are naturally dairy-free.
HOW DO I SELECT THE RIGHT TYPE OF COCONUT FOR THE GF COCONUT MACAROONS?
I've used shredded coconut that has no sugar added. Others prefer using a granola-type coconut. Try both and see which ones you prefer.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MACARON AND A MACAROON?
Macarons are French cookies that are more like a sandwich cookie with a variety of fillings. Macaroons are egg whites with coconut forming a light and airy American cookie.
TO MAKE THE MACAROONS:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the coconut with gluten-free flour, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and water in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and lemon juice until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Use a folded method so the air in the egg whites doesn't deflate.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through until the tops and edges are golden.
- Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
TO DECORATE THE MACAROONS:
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds, stirring between intervals until melted and smooth
- Dip the cookies in the chocolate and tap off any excess. Place on a lined baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Let cool completely.
- If there is any chocolate left, you may put it in a pipping bag and drizzle it onto the macaroons.
- If the chocolate gets hardened before you finish dipping macaroons, you may put it back in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Ensure the egg whites are stiff in order for the gf coconut macaroons to hold their shape.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
Hu No Added Sugar Chocolate Chips | 3 Pack | Keto, Organic, Paleo, Gluten Free, Dark Chocolate Chips, Sweetened with Dates | Baking and Snacking Chips | Plant Based, Non GMO, Kosher
Piping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit Baking Supplies Cupcake Icing Tips with Pastry Bag for Baking Decorating Cake
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour, 44 Oz
Baker's Unsweetened Shredded Coconut, 7 Ounce
Pyrex Smart Essentials 3-Piece Prepware Mixing Bowl Set
Hamilton Beach 6-Speed Electric Hand Mixer with Whisk, Traditional Beaters, Snap-On Storage Case, White
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.