Easy gluten free beef stew that’s quick to make, filling, and full of comforting flavors. We like to make this beef stew in the instant pot but I’ve included instructions for stove top gluten free beef stew and beef stew in a Crockpot.
Gluten Free Beef Stew
Growing up we ate beef stew weekly. My mom used to serve it with rice, or in a tortilla shell. I don’t know if it was a generational thing but we enjoy this gluten free beef stew on its own.
When my mom made beef stew, she’d sear the meat in flour before adding it to the pot. Although I feel searing the meat is important as it adds extra flavor, we don’t dredge the stew meat in flour. This gluten free beef stew recipe has enough flavor from the combination of spices, vegetables, and meat that it holds up on its own.
This gluten free beef stew recipe calls for stew meat but you can use any cut of beef cut into 1-inch pieces. Just note the texture will vary depending on the cut of beef you use.
Ingredients in Gluten Free Beef Stew
- freshly ground pepper
- beef stewing meat
- olive oil
- beef broth
- tomato paste
- red wine
- bay leaf
The red wine really adds depth to this gluten free beef stew recipe. If needed, you can leave the red wine out. Maybe add a little cooking sherry or Worcestershire sauce to liven it up a bit.
How to make gluten free beef stew in an Instant Pot
- Salt and pepper the beef and add it to the instant pot.
- Turn the setting to “sauté” and sear the meat.
- Add the beef broth.
- Add the chopped veggies and tomato paste.
- Drizzle the top with red wine.
- Stir until combined. Top with fresh rosemary and a bay leaf.
- Turn the setting to “pressure cook” and set the timer for 30 minutes. Once it’s done, manual release the steam and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
These steps are for illustration purposes. Please see the recipe card below for the full list of ingredients and instructions for making instant pot gluten free beef stew.
Stove top Gluten Free Beef Stew Instructions
- Salt and pepper the stew meat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the stew meat and sear the beef on all sides.
- Remove the beef from the pot and add the red wine. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
- Add the beef, beef broth, tomato paste, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.
- Cover and cook, skimming broth from time to time, until the beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the onions, carrots, and potatoes and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Slow Cooker Gluten Free Beef Stew Instructions
- Salt and pepper the stew meat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the stew meat and sear the beef on all sides.
- Remove the beef from the pan and add the red wine. Cook over medium-high heat, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
- Add the red wine mixture, seared beef, beef broth, tomato paste, onion, carrots, and potatoes to the slow cooker or Crockpot. Mix until combined.
- Top with fresh rosemary and the bay leaf.
- Set the slow cooker to “low” and cook for 4-6 hours or until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Vegetables to put in beef stew
We like to include onions, carrots, and potatoes in our beef stew to keep it simple and filling. Often, I’ll add 1 cup of frozen peas at the end, to give the gluten free beef stew more color and flavor My parents used to add in chopped celery and occasionally, broccoli. You can add in your favorite vegetables.
This gluten free beef stew is thick and filling. It’s naturally grain free and dairy free, and paleo for those who eat a paleo diet with potatoes. You can leave the potatoes out but we think it’s better with potatoes. You can also use sweet potatoes for a fun twist.
Did you make this gluten free beef stew? If so, please leave a comment below letting me know if you make this beef stew in an instant pot, on the stove, or in a slow cooker.
Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 885mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g