By/ Last Modified On December 18, 2023
These Gluten-Free French Fried Onions are unbelievably crispy and a breeze to whip up. We're talking just a few simple ingredients, and you've got these golden, crunchy onions ready to add to any dish. Trust me, these onions are game changers for topping off your favorite recipes.
If you love the crunch and flavor of onions, we have more gluten-free recipes for you to make. From a creamy Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole to the crispy bite of Gluten-Free Onion Rings and the versatility of Gluten-Free Onion Soup Mix, these recipes show off the versatility of onions. And don't forget to check out these Gluten-free French Fries and delicious Gluten-Free Dips, which are perfect for any occasion!
Learn new skills and techniques with this informative Udemy course - a simple click can unlock a world of learning!
Gluten-Free French Fried Onions Recipe
Remember when you craved something crunchy and savory, but all the store-bought options were off-limits due to gluten? That's what inspired me to perfect this Gluten-Free French Fried Onions recipe. These golden-brown snacks are a great side dish and a nostalgic trip down memory lane.
The best part about making these at home is the aroma that fills the kitchen. And after the first bite, you guessed it, you'll be hooked! They're crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, with just the right amount of seasoning. I often find myself snacking on them right out of the pan! Don't tell anyone!
Whether you're topping your favorite casserole (if you manage to stop snacking on them), adding it to a burger, or enjoying it on its own, these gluten-free French fried onions are the best. Plus, they're surprisingly easy to make. Let me show you how!
Why You’re Going to Love These Gluten-Free French Fried Onions
Incredible Flavor - The perfect blend of sweetness and spices makes each bite irresistibly good.
Versatile Use - Ideal as a garnish, casserole, or standalone snack.
Easy to Make - These onions are easy to prepare with simple steps and pantry ingredients.
Crispy Texture - You can achieve that sought-after crunch without any gluten!
Ingredients in Gluten-Free French Fried Onions
Yellow Onions - The dish's star is onion, providing a sweet and aromatic flavor once fried. Onions are so good for you. One cup of chopped onions also provides at least 13.11% of an adult’s recommended daily vitamin C intake.
Buttermilk - Soaks the onions, tenderizing them and adding a nice tang.
Rice Flour - Give a gluten-free coating that fries up to a crisp and golden texture.
Garlic Powder - Who doesn't love garlic powder for a salty, garlicky taste?
Salt - A kitchen staple for seasoning that brings out the natural flavors of the onions.
Black Pepper - Provides a slight kick, balancing the sweetness of the onions.
Smoked Paprika - Gives it a smoky taste.
Vegetable Oil - Used for frying and giving the onions that crispy exterior.
Equipment Needed for This Gluten-Free French Fried Onions
Frying Pan / Skillet - For frying the onions to that golden perfection.
Mixing Bowls - To mix the batter and coat the onions.
Whisk - For a smooth, lump-free batter.
Mandoline (optional) - A mandoline slicer is an optional but handy kitchen tool for uniformly slicing thin onion slices quickly.
If you have any questions about making Gluten-Free French Fried Onions, please leave a comment, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
How to Make Gluten-Free French Fried Onions
- Begin by halving the onions, then slice them thinly for even cooking. A mandoline can be used for uniform slices, but it's optional.
- Place the thinly sliced onions in a large bowl. Pour buttermilk over them, ensuring they are fully submerged. Stir gently and allow them to soak for 30 minutes. This step tenderizes the onions and adds flavor.
- Combine rice flour, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika in a separate bowl. Whisk the mixture thoroughly for even seasoning.
- Remove the onion slices from buttermilk using a slotted spoon, allowing excess buttermilk to drip off. Place them on a paper towel and gently pat dry. This helps in removing any excess moisture.
- In batches, coat the onions in the flour mixture. Gently toss to ensure an even coating, shaking off any excess flour before frying.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the coated onions and fry them for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Avoid overcrowding the pan to ensure each onion slice fries evenly.
- Once fried, transfer the onions to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain any excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining onions. Serve immediately for the best texture.
Tips for Making the Best Gluten-Free French Fried Onions
Choose the Right Onion - Choose sweet varieties like Vidalia onion, Walla Walla, Maui, or Texas Sweet Onions.
Maintain Oil Temperature - Consistent heat ensures even cooking without absorbing too much oil. You may want to use a kitchen thermometer to check this.
Season Well - Don’t skimp on the seasoning for the best flavor.
Drain Excess Oil - Use paper towels to remove excess oil for a crispier texture.
Tips On Where To Buy Store-Bought GF Fried Onion
For purchasing store-bought gluten-free fried onions, a few brands are available:
- Lars Own® Gluten Free Organic French Fried Onions - These are made with organic ingredients and offer a natural, crispy crunch. They are suitable for topping various dishes, including casseroles, salads, and burgers. Lars Own® emphasizes using organic onions, palm oil, buckwheat, and salt in their product.
- Simple Nature Organic Gluten-Free French Fried Onions - Available at ALDI, this product is known for its taste and texture, resembling regular French fried onions. The ingredients include organic onions, palm oil, buckwheat flour, and salt, making them vegan and non-GMO options.
- Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Crispy Fried Onions - Trader Joe's offers a popular gluten-free option known for its taste and crispiness, making it an excellent topping for various dishes.
- Whole Foods Market 365 Gluten-Free French Fried Onions - Available at Whole Foods, these fried onions are a gluten-free alternative that caters to those who prefer shopping at Whole Foods and are looking for quality options in the gluten-free category.
- Sprouts Farmers Market Gluten-Free French Fried Onions - Sprouts offers gluten-free fried onions, a hit among those who shop at Sprouts Farmers Market. They are known for their natural ingredients and delicious taste.
When purchasing gluten-free products, it's always important to check labels for certification and to ensure they meet your dietary needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Store Gluten-Free French Fried Onions?
Store your gluten-free French fried onions in an airtight re-sealable container for optimal freshness. Keep them in a cool, dry place, such as your pantry. If the packaging is resealable, ensure it's tightly closed after each use. Proper storage will help maintain their crispness and prevent them from becoming stale.
Did you make this Gluten-Free French Fried Onions recipe? Please leave me a comment below, letting me know what you think.