By/ Last Modified On August 14, 2023
We love these gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes. They're tender and chocolatey (basically the perfect gluten-free desert!). Want to make them?
We based this vegan chocolate cupcake recipe off of our favorite parts of gluten free wacky cake. And they're easy to make. Just use dairy-free batter and follow our recipe, and you'll enjoy the world's best gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes.
For more ideas and gluten-free baking inspiration, check out my Gluten-Free Desserts.
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Originally posted in February of 2013, and recently given a photo refresh, these Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate cupcakes are going to win you over!
I'm confident. After all, the Gluten-Free Vegan Cupcakes have been a favorite in our house for years. The photo I originally added to the post didn’t do the cupcakes justice.
Recently I’ve been going through older recipes and refreshing the photos and content. Now that my photography is where I want it to be, I want every recipe on my site to have a lovely photo – these Gluten-Free Vegan Cupcakes included.
What do you want in a cupcake? You want that perfectly domed top, moist crumb, and an overall great mouth feel. And that's what you deserve in a cupcake, regardless of whether or not it's Gluten-Free
It can be hard to find that in a Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcake, let alone a Vegan Gluten-Free cupcake.
Gluten-Free Vegan Cupcakes
There are a couple of tips and tricks to getting the right texture with gluten-free cupcakes. First, you have to follow the recipe. So many people comment on recipe posts saying that they made a ton of substitutions, and the recipe didn’t turn out.
If you use substitutions, you are doing so at your own risk.
Second, you want to mix at the right time and not over-mix. When you are beating the ingredients, you’ll want to beat it for the time listed. This adds air which in turn helps the cupcakes rise. Beating any longer will cause the batter to stiffen.
Both those tips are relevant to most cupcake recipes, not just these Gluten-Free Vegan Cupcakes.
How to make Gluten-Free Vegan Cupcakes
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt until there are no visible clumps.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the coffee (or water plus coffee granules), vinegar, vanilla extract, and olive oil. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir only until they just come together. The mixture should be thin and lumpy.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake pans, filling it about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool on a rack. Once the cupcakes are cool, frost each cupcake with your favorite frosting.
For the full list of ingredients and instructions, please see the gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe card below.
These Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes have a perfectly domed top, tender crumb, and amazing chocolate flavor, and I'll tell you a little secret, they're simple to make.
Start to finish, you'll have your teeth sinking into these light and fluffy gluten-free vegan cupcakes in less than an hour.
Despite the short wait time from bowl to oven to mouth, they'll taste so good that you'll find yourself wondering if an hour is really all that it took.
These cupcakes have a deep cocoa flavor mixed with an airy texture, a combo to die for, and they'll be such a huge hit at your next party or event. If they even make it out of the kitchen. And hey, I won't blame you if they don't.
If you are looking for gluten-free cupcakes (non-vegan) you'll love my gluten-free chocolate cupcakes.
How to make a smooth dairy-free frosting
My favorite way to make dairy-free frosting is to use half dairy-free butter (I use Earth Balance butter sticks) and half palm shortening (which is coconut oil shortening).
Let both come to room temperature, then cream them together before adding in the rest of the ingredients.
If you are looking for a chocolate frosting recipe to pair with these cupcakes, check out this smooth and creamy Vegan Chocolate Frosting. If you're more of a buttercream person, you'll want to make this Vegan Frosting.
Did you make these gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes? Please leave a starred rating and a comment letting me know what you thought!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brewed coffee (or 1 cup of warm water mixed with 1 ½ teaspoons of espresso powder or instant coffee granules)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp) olive oil or vegetable oil
For the frosting:
- ¼ cup dairy-free butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup palm shortening, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Position rack in center of oven. Line a 12 serving cupcake pan with papers; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt until there are no visible clumps.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the coffee (or water plus coffee granules), vinegar, vanilla extract, and olive oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until they just come together. The mixture should be thin and lumpy.
- Spoon batter evenly into cupcake pans, filing it about ⅔ full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool on a rack.
- For the frosting: In a medium mixing bowl, beat together dairy-free butter, palm shortening vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well. Alternate one cup of powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of dairy-free milk until all ingredients are blended.
- Beat in additional dairy-free milk if needed to obtain desired constancy.
- Frost and enjoy!
- Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend works best in this recipe.
- When working with or measuring gluten-free flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level. Do not scoop your measuring cup into the gluten-free flour.
- If you don't need dairy-free or vegan, you can use regular butter and milk in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 0gSugar: 44gProtein: 0g