Fun and festive Gluten-Free Vanilla Birthday Cake Donuts that are soft, fluffy, bursting with vanilla, and smothered in a sweet glaze. Enjoy these gluten-free vanilla donuts plain or top them with sprinkles for an extra colorful treat.
I’ve mentioned this in previous posts – my girls and I enjoy a donut every Friday. It helps us wind down for the week and rewards us for getting up and getting ready for the day on time. These gluten-free vanilla cake donuts are one of our favorite gluten-free donuts.
Gluten-free donuts are an extra special treat that we save for Friday morning’s. We like to make up a big batch of gluten-free donuts and freeze them for the future weeks. When we run out of gluten-free donuts, we bake up another batch.
These Gluten-Free Vanilla Birthday Cake donuts are incredible any time and aren’t just for celebrating birthdays. You can decorate them with frosting or enjoy them plain.
Gluten-Free Vanilla Donuts are super easy to make if you have a good recipes, so I hope you’ll try these and see just how simple they are to make. When you do, please stop back by and let me know what you thought and what you topped your gluten-free donuts with.
We rotate the types of gluten-free donuts we make, adding in variety and giving me a chance to test out new donut recipes. My girls like to dip these gluten-free vanilla cake donuts donuts in glaze and add sprinkles.
I love it when they bake with me and they love being rewarded with a sweat treat for helping. The girls and I devoured these Gluten-Free Vanilla Birthday Cake Donuts straight from the oven.
The second batch made it to the glaze and sprinkle process and were frozen for the next week. The texture in these gluten-free vanilla donuts is perfect. There is a little give with the pick the donut up. It’s tender, and melts perfectly in your mouth.
Do I have to use a donut pan?
If you don’t have a donut pan, I recommend you get one. But for now you can use a muffin pan or a mini muffin pan. Just note that the cooking time is lower with a donut pan because the donut dough gets contact all around, including in the center with the donut pan.
Can I make these gluten-free donuts dairy-free?
Absolutely. Substitute the butter milk for your favorite dairy-free milk and add in a teaspoon of vinegar. Let them mixture sit for 5 minutes before adding it to the batter. It will help it thicken up and get lumpy. Use dairy-free milk in the glaze. Enjoy!
These gluten-free vanilla cake donuts are insanely simple to make. They bake up in less than ten minutes and are tender, flavorful, and they hit your donut-loving taste buds in all the right places.
You can have fun with the glaze by adding in color, or you can use different types of sprinkles. One year for Halloween we made the glaze purple and topped the donuts with orange sprinkles. They were fun to hand out to friends on Halloween.
Do these gluten-free vanilla cake donuts freeze well?
Yes, these gluten-free vanilla cake donuts freeze well. We often double the batch and freeze the rest for our Friday donut days. That way I don’t have to make a fresh batch each week. Simple take them out the night before, or defrost them in the microwave in the morning.
What gluten-free sprinkles do you recommend?
Sweetapolita makes great gluten-free sprinkles. Let’s do Organic has a couple of varieties as well.
Most sprinkles don’t have wheat or gluten in them but they are usually processed in a facility that processes other glutinous ingredients. Make sure to check labels for allergen information.
For more gluten-free donuts, check out these Glazed Yeast Raised Gluten-Free Donuts from Gluten Free on a Shoestring.
Did you make these gluten-free cake donuts? Please let me know what you think in the comments below. Also, if you have a question that I haven’t already answered above please leave a comment and I will get back to you. Happy donut making!
For the donuts:
- 2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil of choice
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 - 1 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease two six-serving donut pans; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared donut pan filling about 1/2 full. The batter should not cover the center of the donut, where the hole will go.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the donuts rise and set.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove the donut from the pan. You may need to use a spoon or a rubber spatula to loosen them if they stick.
- Cool donuts on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Place your wire rack over a cookie sheet or piece of parchment paper.
- For the glaze: In a separate small mixing bowl, combine the powered sugar and milk. Heat covered in the microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir until all sugar lumps are dissolved.
- One at a time, dip the tops of your donuts into the glaze.
- Place your donut back on the rack and repeat until all donuts have been dipped.
- Repeat 1-2 more times until your glaze is white.
- After the last dip in the glaze, dip the donuts into the sprinkles.
- Store donuts in a airtight container at room temperate for up to three days.
When working with or measuring gluten-free flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level. Do not scoop your measuring cup into the gluten-free flour. The best method really is to weight it but I don't have the ingredient weights for all my recipes yet.
Wilton Non-Stick 6-Cavity Donut Baking Pans
Wilton Medium Donut Pan, 12-Cavity
Chefast Non-Stick Donut Pan Combo Kit: BPA-Free Large and Mini Silicone Doughnut Pans, 5 Pastry Bags, and Spatula - Baking Molds for Full-Size and Small Donuts - Bagels and Doughnuts Maker Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:12 donuts
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4464 Total Fat: 187g Saturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 2791mg Carbohydrates: 716g Sugar: 441g Protein: 15g