Crunchy, perfectly bite-sized and gluten-free, vegan, and nut-free, this Gluten-Free Vegan Cookie Crunch Cereal will be a new favorite with kids and adults!
This recipe was sponsored by Enjoy Life Foods. Opinions are my own.
My kids are headed back to school in a few weeks which means early mornings, increased busy schedules, and hurrying out the door to get them to school on time.
Although my girls love to enjoy muffins like my Paleo Chocolate Chip Muffins, or my Grain-Free Double Chocolate Muffins for breakfast, they also like to eat cereal for breakfast a couple of days a week.
As you know, the gluten-free choices are limited and some or loaded with ingredients I can’t even pronounce.
This school year I made it a goal to only feed them homemade breakfasts, which includes homemade cereal like this Gluten-Free Vegan Cookie Crunch Cereal.
I get to control the ingredients, and they get to enjoy a sweet and fun cereal a couple of days a week. I know what you may be thinking, that you don’t have time to make homemade cereal.
This recipe requires minimal ingredients and is super quick to whip up. The thing that takes the longest time is rolling the little cookie dough balls and flattening them on the baking sheet.
I have my kids help and it goes by in a zip. Here’s a quick video to show you just how easy they are to make.
See. Super simple. This Gluten-Free Vegan Cookie Crunch Cereal doesn’t get soggy in milk and it lasts in a airtight container in the cupboard for up to a week.
I like to give about a half cup of cereal to my girls and also serve them some fruit or protein source.
I used maple syrup in this recipe to keep the refined sugar down (only a small amount in the chocolate chips). You can use brown sugar, or honey if you are not a fan of maple syrup.
For the chocolate chips, I used Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chips. They are the perfect size for this recipe and they are free from the top eight allergens – as is this recipe.
Looking for more cereal recipes? My friend Taylor from Food Faith Fitness has an incredible Homemade Cereal Recipe for Paleo Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
- ½ cup palm shortening (or coconut oil)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup (or brown sugar, or honey)
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoons ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons water, let sit for 10 mins)
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup Enjoy Life Foods mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, combine the palm shortening, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the flax egg and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Beat until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into half teaspoon to teaspoon sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Slightly press down into a cookie shape.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 9 to 11 minutes or until the cookies are set in the center and start to brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.