By/ Last Modified On February 8, 2024
A super simple recipe for the best Gluten-Free Chex Mix that uses a handful of gluten-free ingredients. This gluten-free check mix recipe is versatile and can be switched up to create different flavors of Chex mix.
This Gluten-Free Chex Mix is perfect for sharing and it also makes a great sweet and salty snack.
If you love snack mixes, you'll want to make this gluten-free granola next.
Why You'll Love This Gluten-Free Chex Mix
Sweet and Salty - This check mix is both sweet and salty and it has the perfect crunch. It doubles as a snack and a treat.
Perfect for Sharing - This recipe can be doubled or tripled and it's perfect for sharing. Serve it up in a big bowl with a scoop, or individually wrap servings, you choose.
Versatile - You can switch up the types of add-ins and gluten-free crackers and pretzels, to switch up the flavors. You can also leave out the sweets, and add in more savory ingredients like seasoning mixes and nuts.
What do you like to add to your gluten-free snack mixes? Let us know in the comment section below.
Gluten-Free Chex Mix Ingredients
Salted Butter - Butter helps the brown sugar stick to the Chex cereal but it also helps it crisp up, to add extra crunch. You can use dairy-free butter or coconut oil if you like. Just note that it may change the overall flavor. Also, dairy-free butters tend to be on the salty side.
Brown Sugar - We like to use light brown sugar, but you can use dark if you like. Brown sugar adds an extra touch of sweetness and helps the Chex mix cluster together.
Vanilla Extract - Vanilla adds extra flavor and helps balance the peanut butter flavors. You'll want to use pure vanilla extract.
Peanut Butter Chex Cereal - For flavor, and crunch, and as the base of this gluten-free Chex mix. You can use other flavors of Chex, but make sure the flavor you are including is gluten-free. Always check labels, especially since labels and formulas can change. You can also try it out with Honey Nut Chex or Chocolate Chex.
[Related: Gluten Free Cereal]
Gluten-Free Pretzel Twists - You can use gluten-free pretzel twists or sticks. Some of our favorites are Glutino's Pretzels, Trader Joes Gluten Free Pretzel Twists, and Savor by Suzie Gluten-Free Pretzels. You can use your favorite brand of gluten-free pretzels, just make sure to check the labels.
Reese's Pieces - We love adding additional peanut butter to our Chex mix. You can leave these out if you like. Please make sure to check labels, as formulas and ingredients can change.
Chocolate Chips - You can use regular chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips in this gluten-free Chex mix recipe. For a more chocolate-flavored Chex mix, consider using chocolate Chex and omitting the peanut butter candies.
Reese’s Cups - All of the Reese’s Cups are gluten-free with the exception of the unwrapped minis and seasonal flavors. Please check labels before adding any Reese's candies to your check mix. The photos show minis but they were wrapped, and we unwrapped them to include them.
If you have any questions about the ingredients in this gluten-free Chex mix, please leave a comment below.
How to Make Gluten-Free Chex Mix
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Add the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk to combine and then add the gluten-free Chex cereal and gluten-free pretzel twists. Toss to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the parchment-lined baking sheet and spread it into a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir the mixture. Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Allow the mix to cool to room temperature and then break it into bite-size pieces. Add the Reese’s Pieces, chocolate chips, and Reese’s Cups and toss to combine.
These photos are for illustration purposes. Please see the recipe card below.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Chex Mix
- Make sure to check the labels for each ingredient, to ensure it's gluten-free.
- You can use regular butter or dairy-free butter in this gluten-free Chex mix recipe.
- After you bake the mixture, allow it to cool to room temperature, so your candies don't melt when you stir them in.
- You can leave the gluten-free check mix in large clusters, or break it into smaller clusters.
- You can switch up the flavor and make this a savory gluten-free Chex mix by adding in salt, seasonings, nuts, and gluten-free crackers.
Storing Gluten-Free Chex Mix
Store leftover Chex mix in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. If it's warm, you'll want to consider storing this gluten-free Chex mix in a cool area or the refrigerator.
Are Reese's Candies Gluten-Free?
Not all Reese's candies are gluten-free. The unwrapped mini Reese's peanut butter cups and the seasonal flavors are not gluten-free. Always check labels before purchasing. You can also use other brands of peanut butter cups and candies if they are gluten-free.
Did you make this Gluten-Free Chex Mix? Let us know what you thought in the comments below.
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups Peanut Butter Chex cereal
- 2 cups gluten free pretzel twists
- 1 cup Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini Reese’s Cups (wrapped, but you’ll unwrap them)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Add the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Add the gluten free Chex cereal and gluten free pretzel twists. Toss to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the parchment lined baking sheet and spread it into a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir the mixture.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
Allow the mix to cool to room temperature and then break it into bite size pieces.
- Add the Reese’s Pieces, chocolate chips, and Reese’s Cups and toss to combine.
- Double check labels for all your ingredients, to make sure they are gluten free.
- If you use unsalted butter, add in ¼ teaspoon salt.
- You can use dairy-free butter or coconut oil, in place of the butter.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 397mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 21gProtein: 15g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.