Easy gluten-free meatballs that are super flavorful, easy to make, and use only a handful of ingredients found in most kitchens. You’re going to love this easy gluten-free meatball recipe.
If you love meatballs you’ll want to me these Crockpot BBQ Meatballs next.
You are going to do a happy dance when you try this gluten-free meatball recipe. Anyone can make it, even my youngest child.
These gluten-free meatballs are THAT simple.
I’ve got some options for substitutions and some tips for making the best gluten-free meatballs, so please read through this post before you get started.
First off, you can use beef, chicken, or turkey to make these meatballs. They all work beautifully.
The key is in the fat content of the meat you are using. Chicken and turkey tend to be leaner, so you’ll want to use a 93% – 98% lean beef to make these gluten-free meatballs.
I have a close friend who is allergic to beef and dairy and I wanted to make the perfect gluten-free meatball that even she can enjoy.
While these meatballs aren’t dairy-free as-is, I have some options for those that need it.
Gluten-Free Meatball Recipe
For this recipe, I used Schar Gluten-Free Entertainment Crackers. If you can’t find the Schar Gluten-Free Entertainment Crackers here’s what else you can use:
You can use any Schar Gluten-Free Cracker, crushed.
You can use equal parts gluten free breadcrumbs.
Can’t have grains? No problem, you can use almond meal instead of gluten-free crackers, or increase the grated Parmesan to 1/2 cup.
We also love gluten-free meatballs using rice – use 1/2 cup cooked rice in place of the crushed crackers if needed.
Remember when our grandparents used to make gluten-free meatballs using oatmeal? You can do that too, just use equal parts and make sure you are using gluten-free oats.
There are so many easy ways to make these gluten-free meatballs. The texture comes from the combination of ingredients and the flavors come from the spices and seasonings added to the meatball mix.
Dairy Free Meatballs
If you can’t have dairy you can always leave the Parmesan out or substitute in your favorite dairy-free cheese.
The Parmesan adds to the flavor and texture but these gluten-free meatballs will still be tender and flavorful without it.
Ingredients to Make Gluten-Free Meatballs
- Ground beef (or chicken, or turkey)
- Crushed Schar Crackers (or almond meal, rice, or oatmeal)
- Parmesan cheese
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Parsley
For a list of quantities, please see the recipe card below.
How to make gluten-free meatballs
You guys are going to think I’m ridiculous, but it only take five easy steps to make gluten-free meatballs.
- Add all the ingredients to a medium mixing bowl.
- Mi until all the ingredients are combined.
- Roll the mixture into balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake as directed. Serve with your favorite sauce.
Yeah, it’s that easy. And it’s less expensive than buying the same amount of gluten-free meatballs at the store.
Please do yourself a favor and give this gluten-free meatball recipe a try next time you are craving them or you need a gluten-free appetizer.
And speaking of appetizers, I have more Gluten-Free Appetizers if you need another yummy recipe.
Gluten-Free Meatballs in a Slow Cooker
We love serving easy gluten-free meatballs at parties and BBQ’s. Sometimes we toss them in a slow cooker and let them cook in our favorite sauce – one jar of spaghetti sauce + one jar of salsa.
Here’s what you need to do to cook gluten-free meatballs in a slow cooker.
Pour 28-32 oz of your favorite meatball sauce (or 1 jar of spaghetti sauce + 14 oz. of your favorite salsa) into a slow cooker.
Tuck each meatball into the sauce, making sure that they are submerged.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
Not all slow cookers are created equal, so please check to make sure that the internal temperature for the meatballs is at least 160F, or that you can’t see any pink.
You can keep these gluten-free meatballs warm on the warm setting, just make sure to give them a stir before you serve them.
If you want to serve these gluten-free meatballs as a main dish they go amazing over pasta, zoodles, and even rice.
Did you make these meatballs? Please leave a starred rating AND a comment below letting me know what sauce you enjoyed them with.
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef (or chicken, or turkey)
- 1/2 cup crushed Schar Crackers
- 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Line a 13x9-inch baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In large bowl, mix all ingredients. Shape meatball mixture into 24 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place meatballs 1 inch apart on your baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 18 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Serve warm.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: Pour 28-32 oz of your favorite meatball sauce (or 1 jar of spaghetti sauce + 14 oz. of your favorite salsa) into a slow cooker. Tuck each meatball into the sauce, making sure that they are submerged. Cover on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours. Not all slow cookers are created equal, so please check to make sure that the internal temperature for the meatballs is at least 160F, or that you can't see any pink.
- Dairy-Free Option: If you can't have dairy you can always leave the Parmesan out or substitute in your favorite dairy-free cheese.
- Grain-Free Option: Use almond meal in place of the crushed crackers OR use 1/2 cup of Parmesan instead of 1/4 cup.
Serving Size:3 meatballs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 20g