By/ Last Modified On July 30, 2023
Are you on a gluten-free diet and looking for a sweet treat? Look no further than gluten-free candy! With many candy brands offering gluten-free options, it's easier than ever to enjoy your favorite sweets without worrying about consuming gluten.
Some of the top candy brands, such as Hershey's, Mars, and Nestle, produce gluten-free candy options that are both delicious and safe to eat. Additionally, companies like Ferrara Candy Company, Tootsie Roll Industries, and The Jelly Belly Candy Company also offer gluten-free candy products that are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
From gluten-free candy bars to gummy candies and jellybeans, a wide range of gluten-free candy options are available to suit every taste preference. This is not an exhaustive list but highlights the most popular gluten-free candy. It's always important to check the labels and product descriptions to ensure that your candy is gluten-free and safe to consume. So let's kick off with some tips and then get straight into those gluten-free candy brands! Which gluten-free candy will you choose?
Tips For Selecting Gluten-Free Candy
Here are some tips when choosing a gluten-free candy:
Read the ingredient labels - Read food labels carefully to check for any gluten-containing ingredients.
Look for a gluten-free label - Look for products that are specifically labeled as gluten-free or have a gluten-free certification logo.
Cross-Contamination - Be aware that some candies may be made in facilities that also process gluten-containing products, so look for information on cross-contamination prevention. Consider purchasing candy from a dedicated gluten-free brand or retailer to ensure that the product is safe for celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
Ask the manufacturer directly - When in doubt, contact the manufacturer to ask about their gluten-free practices and certifications.
Don't assume - Don't assume because one candy from a brand is gluten-free. Therefore, all products are gluten-free. For example, some Hershey's kisses are gluten-free, whereas others contain wheat.
Seasonal candy - Watch out for seasonal candy as sometimes products that are usually gluten-free contain wheat in their seasonal candy.
Which Brands Offer Gluten-Free Candy?
Here is a list of some of the top brands offering gluten-free candy.
Hershey's is one of the largest chocolate manufacturers in the world and has been producing chocolates and candies for over 125 years.
Gluten-free labeling - Hershey provides an updated list of their gluten-free products on their website.
So here are some gluten-free products of Hershey's
- Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars - All chocolate bars are gluten-free
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - All varieties of Reese's peanut butter cups are gluten-free except for seasonally shaped items, according to their website.
- Hershey's Kisses - Some varieties are, while others aren’t, so it is best to check the label.
Explore this article Are Hershey's kisses gluten-free? to get more Hershey's gluten-free candy options.
The company was founded in 1911 by Frank Mars and is still privately owned by the Mars family. Some of the most well-known candy brands produced by Mars include M&M's, Snickers, Twix, Milky Way, Skittles, and Starburst. In addition to candy, Mars also produces pet food, gum, and other food products.
Gluten-free labeling - While Mars Wrigley does not provide specific gluten-free labeling for their products, they do include any gluten-containing ingredients on its labels. Consumers can use this information to determine whether a product is safe for their dietary needs.
So here are some gluten-free products of Mars Wrigley
- M&M's -
- Snickers - All bars are gluten-free. Read more info here.
- Milky Way Caramel Bars - Are gluten-free, but not the original Milky Way Bar.
- Skittles - All varieties of Skittles are gluten-free, and it is labeled gluten-free.
- Starburst - All varieties of Starburst are gluten-free, and it is labeled gluten-free.
- 3 Musketeers
- Dove Chocolate products - With the exception of milk chocolate cinnamon graham/cookies and cream and certain holiday varieties such as milk chocolate truffles, all product flavors are gluten-free.
- Lifesavers - The gummies, hards, and mints are all gluten-free.
These contain gluten- Twix, Maltesers, and Mars Bars (has barley malt).
So are M&M's gluten-free? The answer is only some are. Have a look at this article so you can avoid the ones containing wheat.
Nestlé is a Swiss multinational food and beverage company that was founded in 1866 by Henri Nestlé. Originally, the company produced infant food but later expanded its product line to include chocolate, coffee, and other food and beverage items.
Gluten-free labeling - Nestlé labels some of their candies as gluten-free. However, it appears they are not consistent in their labeling practices. While some Nestlé candies are labeled as gluten-free, others may not contain gluten-containing ingredients but are not specifically labeled as such.
So here are some gluten-free products of Nestle
- Butterfinger - The fun size and singles are gluten-free.
- Babyruth - The regular and fun sizes don't contain gluten. It is, however, not labeled gluten-free.
Ferrara Candy Company is a candy manufacturer that was founded in 1908 by Salvatore Ferrara in Chicago, Illinois. The company began as a bakery in the heart of Chicago's Little Italy neighborhood and later transitioned to candy making.
Gluten-free labeling - According to Ferrara's website, they include a "CONTAINS" statement on every product that contains allergens. If there is no "CONTAINS" statement after the ingredient list, then the product does not contain any allergens. Ferrara also uses a "MADE IN" statement that identifies any allergens present in the manufacturing facility where the product is made.
So here are some gluten-free products of Ferrara
- Trolli Gummy Worms - This product has the potential to have cross-contamination as it is produced in a mixed facility.
- Brach's Naturally Flavored Candy Corn - is labeled gluten-free.
- Laffy Taffy
- Sweet Tarts - Both the original and chewy.
Tootsie Roll Industries
Tootsie Roll Industries is a candy manufacturer that was founded in 1896 by Leo Hirshfield in New York City. Hirshfield named the company after his daughter's nickname, "Tootsie". The company's flagship product, the Tootsie Roll, was created in 1896 and was an instant success.
Gluten-free labeling - They label their products well with terms like "ingredients free of" and "produced in a facility that does not use gluten".
So here are some gluten-free products of Tootsie Roll Industries
- Tootsie Rolls And Fruit Rolls - So, are tootsie rolls gluten-free? Yes, they are. As per the brand's packaging - ingredients are free of tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, and egg.
- Tootsie Pops - Packaging says produced in a facility that does not use peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, or gluten, as well as ingredients free of: tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, and egg.
- Junior Mints
The Jelly Belly Candy Company
The Jelly Belly Candy Company was founded in 1898 by Gustav Goelitz in Illinois, USA. Initially, the company produced various candy products. However, it wasn't until the 1960s that the company achieved widespread success by creating Jelly Belly jelly beans.
Gluten-free labeling - They label their products well, mentioning manufacturing facilities, and the packaging has "gluten-free" wording on it.
So here are some gluten-free products of The Jelly Belly Candy Company
These contain gluten: Chocolate Malt Balls and Licorice Pastels.
Mondelez International is a multinational snack and confectionery company that was established in 2012. The company's history can be traced back to 1903 when the National Biscuit Company (NBC) was formed.
Gluten-free labeling - They urge consumers to read the product labels.
So here are some gluten-free products of Mondelez International
Recipe Ideas Using Gluten-Free Candy
Here are a few recipes that use gluten-free candy right in them. They're so YUM!
- Gluten-free monster cookies - are a delicious twist on the classic oatmeal cookie, made with gluten-free oats and peanut butter. Get your gluten-free M&Ms ready for this one!
- Crockpot Christmas Candy - this is a simple recipe for Crockpot Christmas crack, also known as Crockpot Christmas candy. You'll need some gluten-free chocolate chips.
These top candy brands offer a wide variety of gluten-free candy options that are both delicious and safe to consume. It's always important to check the labels and product descriptions to ensure that the candy you choose is truly gluten-free and safe for you to consume.
Things change regularly, so at this point in time, this list is correct, but manufacturing facilities can change, as well as ingredients.
So, the next time you need a sweet treat, don't let a gluten-free diet hold you back. With so many gluten-free candy options available, you can indulge in your favorite candies and satisfy your cravings.
Related: Are Oreos Gluten-Free?