Tender, juicy gluten free chicken wings that are baked in a homemade sweet and spicy gluten free BBQ sauce. This gluten free wings recipe is simple to make and is baked to perfection in an oven.
Gluten Free Chicken Wings Recipe
We've been upping our gluten free appetizer game and these gluten free chicken wings are the newest addition to our starters menu. Try the Gluten Free Onion Rings too, they are amazing.
This gluten free chicken wings recipe is made using a homemade sauce that uses only 3 ingredients.
If you want more of a savory gluten free BBQ sauce, I have the perfect recipe for you and you can use that instead of this three ingredient BBQ sauce.
Are Chicken Wings Gluten Free?
Yes, raw chicken wings are gluten free. Where you might find gluten is in a sauce. Always check labels and check with chefs before buying prepared chicken wings.
This recipe for gluten free chicken wings uses only a handful of ingredients that are naturally gluten free.
Ingredients in Gluten Free Chicken Wings
Chicken Wings - You can use drumsticks too or you can mix them and use both drumsticks and wings.
Ketchup - We like to use Portland Ketchup because it's tangier, but you can use any ketchup you like.
Brown Sugar - We used light brown sugar but you can also use dark brown sugar for a deeper flavor. We've also used coconut sugar.
Red Pepper Flakes - Adds flavor and heat. Don't like heat? You can leave it out.
If you have any questions, please leave it in the comments below and I will get back to you.
How to make gluten free chicken wings
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Place the chicken wings on the baking sheet. Salt and pepper the wings.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Brush the sauce on the wings. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove wings from oven and brush them again with sauce. Bake again for an additional 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
Tips for making gluten free chicken wings
Always pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels before baking. This will help the skin crisp up while baking.
We like to line a baking sheet with foil to help with cleanup. If you don't line your baking sheet with foil, make sure to use a well-seasoned baking sheet to prevent the wings from sticking.
Brush additional sauce on half way through cooking, to help with flavor and moisture.
We recommend getting a thermometer so you can ensure your chicken is cooked through.
Chicken wings are done when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
How to grill gluten free chicken wings
Gluten Free Chicken Wings can easily be grilled for the perfect gluten free tailgater food. Toss the chicken wings with oil before you salt and pepper them.
Half way through cooking, brush on additional sauce and continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
How to store leftover chicken wings
It's best to store cooked leftover chicken wings in the refrigerator or freezer. When you are ready to reheat them, simply pull them out of the refrigerator or freezer and bring them to room temperature.
How to reheat chicken wings
To reheat gluten free chicken wings, pre-heat your oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil or line it with foil. Arrange the chicken wings on the pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping half way through.
Can I microwave leftover chicken wings?
Yes, you can microwave these glute free chicken wings just note that the quick heat may dry out parts of the chicken wings. We recommend reheating chicken wings in the oven.
Did you make these gluten free chicken wings? Please leave me a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 12 bone-in chicken wings
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels.
- Place the chicken wings on the baking sheet in a single-layer, at least 1-inch apart.
- Salt and pepper the wings.
- Whisk remaining three ingredients together in a small bowl and brush it on the wings.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the wings from oven and brush them again with sauce.
- Place them back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches
- Serve warm.
- Always pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels before baking. This will help the skin crisp up while baking.
- We like to line a baking sheet with foil to help with cleanup. If you don't line your baking sheet with foil, make sure to use a well seasoned baking sheet to prevent the wings from sticking.
- Brush additional sauce on half way through cooking, to help with flavor and moisture.
- We recommend getting a thermometer so you can ensure your chicken is cooked through.
- Chicken wings are done when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- You can double or triple this gluten free chicken wings recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 663mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 14g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.