You can make a Tzatziki Dip just like the one you love at your favorite Greek restaurant in just a few minutes at home!
This easy Tzatziki dip is full of fresh herbs and rich and creamy with a base of thick Greek yogurt and olive oil.
Take 5 minutes and make this traditional middle-eastern sauce! It's perfect with fresh vegetables, gluten-free pita chips, or as a creamy, tangy addition to Gluten-Free Falafel.
EASY TZATZIKI DIP RECIPE
Creamy dill dip is always my favorite part of any Greek or Middle Eastern meal. Tzatziki dip is delicious on just about anything you decide to put it on, including pita chips, gyros, and grilled meats and vegetables.
You don't need to have a restaurant reservation to enjoy this tasty, creamy dip though.
It's easy to make Tzatziki dip, and today we're showing you exactly how to do it using just 7 simple ingredients and without any cooking required.
IS TZATZIKI DIP GLUTEN FREE?
When you make it from scratch, tzatziki dip is naturally gluten-free! I avoid buying pre-made, package tzatziki dip, as these can contain gluten additives or may have risks of cross-contamination. Plus, homemade dips and sauces always taste so much better.
INGREDIENTS IN TZATZIKI DIP
Cucumber: You'll need 1 ½ cups of shredded cucumber. I find it easy to use the large holes of a box grater to do this, but you can use a food processor if you'd like. English cucumbers work well in this recipe as they are mostly seedless, but any type of cucumber will work, including Persian (mini) cucumbers and classic cukes. If your cucumber has seeds, remove them before shredding. Wash the cucumber and leave the skins on to you get their color and nutrition.
Greek Yogurt: It's important to get plain, unflavored Greek yogurt for this recipe. I also suggest using full-fat yogurt (usually 4% milkfat) to get the creamiest tzatziki dip. Low fat or fat-free yogurt will work, but the flavor won't be quite the same. Feel free to use non-dairy Greek-style yogurt in this recipe too.
Lemon Juice: Use the juice from one medium-sized lemon in this recipe. No need to measure, but you should get 2-3 tablespoons of juice. I don't suggest using bottled lemon juice in this recipe.
Olive Oil: This adds richness and flavor to the dip. Look for a robust extra virgin olive oil to use for dips and dressings so that you'll get the most olive oil flavor.
Fresh Dill: Dill gives a hint of anise-like flavor and is a classic addition to tzatziki sauce.
Fresh Parsley: This adds beautiful green color and a fresh flavor. I like to garnish the dip with a few fresh parsley leaves and dill sprigs too.
Garlic: I think garlic is delicious just about everywhere, and tzatziki is no exception! Grate the garlic using the smallest holes in your box grater, or a Microplane.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TZATZIKI DIP RECIPE
- Grate the cucumber, and spread the shredded cucumber out over a few paper towels. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt over the cucumber. Cover with more paper towels and press to remove as much liquid as you can from it.
- Add the cucumber to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients (yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, dill, parsley, and garlic).
- Stir to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with pita wedges, crackers, or fresh veggies.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
HOW LONG DOES TZATZIKI DIP LAST?
You can enjoy this dip right after making it, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
As the tzatziki dip sits in the refrigerator, the flavors will intensify and it will just get more and more delicious!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TZATZIKI DIP
This easy-to-make tzatziki is a welcome addition to so many meals and snacks! Try any of these dishes and dippers, or just use your imagination.
- Pita Chips, Tortilla Chips, or crispy crackers
- Gluten Free Cheese Crackers
- Vegetable Crudite - I like cucumbers, celery, and carrot sticks.
- Roast meat, including steaks, chicken, or lamb.
- Grilled veggies such as zucchini, eggplant, and tomatoes
- French fries or onion rings
- Enjoy Tzatziki as a salad dressing! Thin it out with a splash of milk if needed.
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Create a Mezze Platter - It's like a charcuterie board but with a middle eastern spin! Include homemade hummus for a real treat.
WHAT DOES TZATZIKI MEAN?
The word for this tasty dill dip may come from the Persian word zhazh, which means "herb mixture". This mixture of herbs, garlic, and yogurt is based on sauces that have been and still are very popular in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries.
MORE HOMEMADE DIPS TO TRY
I know you're going to love making this tzatziki dip! When you're ready for something different, make sure to try more of our gluten-free dips, like Crack Corn Dip and Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Did you make this Tzatziki Dip? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 ½ cups shredded cucumber
- 2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Spread the shredded cucumber out over a few paper towels and sprinkle over a pinch of kosher salt (about ½ teaspoon). Top with a few more paper towels and press out any excess liquid.
- Add the cucumber to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients (greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, dill parsley, and garlic). Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
- Tzatziki can be used as a dip and served with gluten-free pita, vegetables, or crackers.
- This tzatziki can also be used as a sauce on lamb, gyros, or grilled chicken. It’s also amazing on gluten free falafel.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 28mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.