A tender vanilla cake donut topped with a sweet, buttery crumble, these Gluten Free Crumb Donuts are a gluten free spin off of Entenmann’s crumb-coated donuts. You’re going to love how easy these gluten free donuts with crumb cake topping are to make.
This recipe and post was created in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Opinions are my own.
Gluten Free Crumb Donuts
I’ve been buzzing with excitement over sharing this new gluten free crumb donut recipe. I haven’t developed a new donut recipe in some time now and if you’ve read any of my other donut recipe posts you’ll know that we make donuts every week and enjoy them on Fridays. It’s our way of celebrating the week.
The tradition started when I was younger. My mother would either take us to the donut shop on the way to school, or she’d pick up a box of Entenmann’s donuts from the store. Spoiler alert, at the time of this post Entenmann’s doesn’t make gluten free donuts. No worries though, you can make a yummy gluten free crumb donut for yourself.
Using my go-to flour blend, Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour, I set out to recreate one of my favorite crumb donuts from my childhood. This recipe makes two dozen incredible, tender donuts with a sweet, cinnamon and butter topping.
Working with Gluten-Free Flours
When working with or measuring gluten-free flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level. Do not scoop your measuring cup into the gluten-free flour. The best method really is to weigh the gluten-free flour but I don’t have the ingredient weights for all my recipes yet.
How can I make donuts egg-free
For these gluten-free crumb cake donuts you can use flaxseed eggs or an egg replacer like Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer.
How to make crumb cake donuts
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease two six-serving donut pans; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared donut pan, filling about 1/2 full. The batter should not cover the center of the donut, where the hole will go.
- For the crumb topping, in a small mixing bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter and mix until combined, and the mixture starts to clump together.
- Spoon the crumb topping into the donut wells, on top of the donut batter. Press down slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the donuts rise and set.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove the donut from the pan. You may need to use a spoon or a rubber spatula to loosen them if they stick.
- Cool donuts completely on a wire rack.
- If desired, dust each crumb donut with powdered sugar before serving.
For the full list of ingredients in these gluten free crumb donuts please see the recipe below.
Can I make crumb donuts dairy-free?
Yes, you can make crumb donuts dairy-free. Simply swap the milk in the donut recipe for dairy-free milk, and the butter in the crumb topping for a dairy-free butter. Note: I have not tried using oil in the crumb topping. The butter adds flavor and texture.
If you want to leave the crumb topping off these gluten free crumb donuts, you can. But I don’t recommend it. The crumb topping is what takes these gluten free crumb cake donuts to the next level.
Did you make these gluten free crumb donuts? Please let me a comment below letting me know what you thought.
Happy baking and cooking,
For the donuts:
For the crumb topping:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 280mg Carbohydrates: 28g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g