In a hurry? How about a Gluten-Free Mug Coffee Cake for breakfast? It’s ready in less than five minutes and it’s pretty amazing if I do say so myself.
This gluten-free, dairy-free recipe serves up a quick and easy mug coffee cake for one. This means you don’t have to share. Just mix, microwave, and devour! It really is that easy, and it’s ready in minutes.
We aren’t very good at getting our lunches ready the night before, so we are often rushing to get ready in the mornings. Sometime I’ll turn to a mug breakfast cake, like this gluten-free mug coffee cake.
One of the many things I love about mug cakes is how easy they are to make. In less than five minutes you can have most mug cakes in the microwave. They only need to be microwaved for about a minute before they are cooked through. This particular mug cake was designed around coffee cake. It even has the nice, yummy crumble on top.
When I first tried mug cakes, I was skeptical. How can sixty seconds in the microwave possible deliver a fluffy, tender, cake? You will be surprised at the texture. It’s not egg-y or gummy. The cake fluffs up and has a similar texture to baked cakes.
The combination of vanilla, cinnamon, and brown sugar in this mug cake pairs well with coffee, tea, or your favorite glass of dairy-free milk. Not convinced yet? What if I told you this cake was moist, buttery, and crumbly? Be adventurous and give it a try. You won’t be disappointed.
You can see from the texture in the photo below that it has an incredible texture. I only wish I would’ve figured out how to make mug cakes when we were first diagnosed non-celiac gluten-intolerant. It would have saved me so much time.
This gluten-free mug coffee cake really is a great way to have a quick breakfast, or a yummy sweet treat. Because its single serving, it is also great for portion control. If you wanted to make this into a cinnamon roll cake, you could swirl the topping in and top it with a powdered sugar glaze.
Can I make this dairy-free?
Yes. Use dairy-free milk and dairy-free butter to make this gluten-free mug cake dairy-free.
If you like mug cakes, you might also like my Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie or my Gluten-Free Chocolate Mug Cake. Both are simple, delicious, and single or double serving. If the kids have a birthday party to attend, I’ll often make the gluten-free chocolate mug cake and send it to the party with them.
Please stop back by and let me know what you think if you make this recipe!
For the cake:
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk (or use the whole egg if you're doubling the recipe to make two)
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- 1/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour blend (or Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1)
- 1/8 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
For the topping:
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place butter, sugar, and egg yolk in a medium sized microwaveable coffee mug. Mix with a fork until combined. Add in milk, flour, and baking powder. Mix until just combined.
- For the topping, in a separate small bowl mix together butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Topping will be soft. Sprinkle chunks of topping on the batter in your mug.
- Microwave for 1 minute to 1 minute and 20 seconds until desired consistency is reached. If you like your cake moist and soft, I would only microwave your mug for 1 minute. If you like them a little crumblier, microwave your mug for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Remember that it will continue to cook a little after you take it out of the microwave. Let your cake cool before diving in.
Bellemain 4 oz. Porcelain Ramekins, Set of 6
Spring Chef Magnetic Measuring Spoons Set, Dual Sided, Stainless Steel, Fits in Spice Jars, Set of 8
Pyrex Prepware 2-Cup Measuring Cup, Red Graphics, Clear
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 121mg Carbohydrates: 75g Sugar: 39g Protein: 3g