Calling all vegan donut lovers! You’re going to love these gluten-free vegan chocolate espresso donuts. This vegan donut recipe is easy to make, tender, and perfect for anyone who loves a good gluten-free vegan donut recipe. If you don’t like espresso, you can leave it out and enjoy gluten-free vegan chocolate donuts.
Do you like donuts? You’ll love my Gluten-Free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts. You can use a flax egg to make them vegan, if needed.
For more donut recipes check out my Gluten-Free Breakfast section.
Gluten-Free Vegan Donuts
Did you know it’s less expensive to make gluten-free vegan donuts than it is to buy them from the store or a bakery? It is. All you need to do is invest in a donut pan, which is usually less than $10 and get baking. This vegan donut recipe is gluten-free and free from most food allergens.
These gluten-free vegan chocolate espresso donuts are tender and chocolaty and they have hints of espresso. If you don’t like or consume coffee you can leave out the ground espresso and enjoy gluten-free vegan chocolate donuts.
For this vegan donut recipe I used a gluten-free vegan chocolate from Enjoy Life Foods for the glaze but you can use your chocolate of choice. You can also leave the chocolate glaze off and dust with powdered sugar, if preferred.
I developed this gluten-free vegan donut recipe with flax-egg, which is typically 1 tablespoon of water + 3 tablespoons of flaxseed meal. For this recipe I wanted to make the equivalent of 2 flaxeggs but I found the batter to be a little on the runny side so I adjusted the flaxegg portion to 1/4 water + 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal.
Most gluten-free donut recipes use a combination of eggs and milk, and sometimes butter to lend the tender crumb. You can easily make most donut recipes vegan by using oil, a dairy-free milk, and an egg substitute. The texture varies depending on what you use for your egg replacer.
The good news is that you won’t be able to tell that these vegan donuts are also gluten free. The texture is perfect and you will enjoy every bite.
Working with Gluten-Free Flours
When working with or measuring gluten-free flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level. Do not scoop your measuring cup into the gluten-free flour. The best method really is to weigh the gluten-free flour but I don’t have the ingredient weights for all my recipes yet.
Dairy Free Milk in Vegan Donuts
When I make vegan donuts or dairy-free donuts I like to personally use almond milk. I’ve also used flaxseed milk and other nut milks. I haven’t personally tried using coconut milk in this gluten-free vegan donut recipe but if you do, I recommend that you don’t use the full fat coconut milk as the batter will be too thick.
Ingredients in Vegan Donuts
- ground flax seed (for the flax egg)
- water (for the flax egg)
- all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- unsweetened cocoa
- fine ground coffee beans (espresso coffee grind)
- gluten-free baking powder
- baking soda
- xanthan gum
- avocado oil (or oil of choice)
- dairy-free milk
- 2 Enjoy Life Foods boomCHOCOboom Dark Chocolate Bars (or chocolate of choice)
Remember that the ground coffee beans are optional. If you use a flour blend that has xathan gum already in it, be sure to omit it from the recipe.
One of the foods we enjoy the most are donuts. If you have read any of my other donut posts, you know that we eat a donut every Friday to celebrate finishing the week. These are one of our favorite gluten-free vegan donuts to share with friends. Every time I make these gluten-free vegan chocolate espresso donuts I make sure I share them.
How to Make Vegan Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 6-donut baking pans with oil; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together flax seed meal and water and place it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together gluten-free flour, cocoa, espresso grinds, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together sugar, oil, and dairy-free milk. Add in the flax eggs and stir until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter into your prepared donut pans and fill about halfway (approximately 1/4 cup).
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until set. Remove from the oven and allow the donuts to cool for 5 minutes. Gently run a rubber spatula along the sides of the donuts and flip the donuts out onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Store remaining donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
For the complete list of ingredients in this vegan donut recipe please see the gluten-free vegan donut recipe card below.
These Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Espresso Donuts are tender, moist, and free from most allergens. I hope you enjoy them and I urge to to share them with your family and friends. If you are gluten-free and either vegan or you can’t consume dairy or eggs you might want to check out some of my other gluten-free vegan recipes.
Did you make these gluten-free vegan donuts? Please leave a starred review and a comment below letting me know what you thought.
Happy Baking and Cooking,
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g