By/ Last Modified On August 27, 2023
Turn up the flavor on your standard roasted red potatoes with Parmesan and dill.
The combination of flavors in these Parmesan and Dill Roasted Red Potatoes will have you coming back for seconds.
Looking for more roasted red potato recipes? We've got a couple variations for you including Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli.
Easy Roasted Red Potatoes
We are a big fan of potatoes in our house. The number one go-to potato side dish is french fries. Go figure, right? Well, we have two young kids at home and french fries are easy to make and fun to dip. I do try to swap in some roasted red potatoes everyone once in a while, or mashed potatoes, but french fries are still the girls favorite.
We usually toss the roasted red potatoes in olive oil and some salt and pepper. I don't typically get too fancy with potatoes. The girls turn their heads away from their plates and snub roasted red potatoes. Why? They are not as easy to dip in ketchup.
I tried cutting them into strips once, but as you might have guessed, they are still not as crunchy and tend to flop. My next attempt was to make the roasted red potatoes taste so good, that my girls would not care what they looked like or that they are not dip-friendly.
Roasted Red Potato Recipes
The wonderful thing about roasted red potatoes is that you can make them several ways. Sometimes it's adding some cheese, other times is the combination of seasonings you use.
Parmesan Dill Roasted Red potatoes
I know that my girls like dill chips and chips with cheese, so I mixed the two flavors together to sprinkle on roasted red potatoes. Win! The combination of Parmesan and dill had the potatoes flying fork first off the plates. They are delicious and pack enough interesting flavors that my girls didn't even dip them in ketchup.
At one point I heard one of my girls say, "They are better than french fries!"
One of the great things about potato dishes like this is that you can serve it any time of the year.
Olive Oil Roasted Red Potatoes
Every time we visit my friend Dana's house she makes us dinner and most of the time she makes us olive oil roasted red potatoes. Essentially, she drizzles olive oil and salt over chipped red potatoes and baked them in the oven until they are tender.
Cheesy Roasted Red Potatoes
Another option for enjoying roasted red potatoes is to bake them on Parmesan cheese. Spray a 9X9 baking pan (or any size you wish) with olive oil. Sprinkle a generous layer of grated Parmesan cheese on the bottom. Cut small red potatoes in half and lay them flat size down on the Parmesan cheese. Bake until the potatoes are tender in the center.
For another cheesy potato option, make my Gluten Free Scalloped Potatoes recipe.
How to make Roasted Red Potatoes
- Wash all the dirt off the red potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes into wedges and spray them with oil.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper, and anything else you want to make variations of flavors.
- Bake in the oven, flipping half way through the baking cycle.
These steps for making roasted red potatoes corresponds to the image above.
What seasoning do you put on red potatoes?
Most people put whatever their favorite savory season is on roasted red potatoes. You can use cajun seasoning, steak seasoning, seasoning salt, garlic salt, or a mix of salt and pepper.
What temperature do you roast red potatoes at?
I usually roast my red potatoes at 350 degrees F. I believe anywhere from 350-425 degrees F give you a tender center with a crunchy outside. You will need to flip them half way through the cooking cycle.
Are potatoes gluten free?
Yes, potatoes are gluten free. They are not a grain, they are a starch and a tuber. They are also in the nightshade family. So if you can't have nightshades you'll need to avoid potatoes and potato flour.
Types of Red Potatoes
There are over 200 types of potatoes available in the United States and 9 types of red potatoes.
- La Rouge
- Red La Soda
- Red Pontiac
- Red Ruby
Since most places ship red potatoes from other states, there is a chance that you've tried different varieties in your roasted red potato recipe.
How do I know when roasted red potatoes are done?
Press a fork into the center of the largest potato. If the center is tender and the outside is crunchy, the roasted red potato is done cooking. To get them extra crispy, place the roasted red potatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes, or until crispy.
This roasted red potato dish is so easy to prep that it's a perfect fit for people with busy lifestyles who don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen but like to prepare meals at home.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, cut into one inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (218°C).
- In a small mixing bowl combine salt, pepper, Parmesan, and dill.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss potatoes and olive oil together until evenly coated.
- Add in the seasoning mix and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread seasoned potatoes out on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown, turning half way through.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Checking for doneness: Press a fork into the center of the largest potato. If the center is tender and the outside is crunchy, the roasted red potato is done cooking. To get them extra crispy, place the roasted red potatoes under the broiler for 5 minutes, or until crispy.
- Olive Oil Roasted Red Potatoes: Drizzle olive oil and salt over chipped red potatoes and baked them in the oven until they are tender.
- Cheesy Roasted Red Potatoes: Spray a 9X9 baking pan (or any size you wish) with olive oil. Sprinkle a generous layer of grated Parmesan cheese on the bottom. Cut small red potatoes in half and lay them flat size down on the Parmesan cheese. Bake until the potatoes are tender in the center.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g