Tender, and fall-of-the-bone good, these Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs are going to be a new favorite meal to make in your Instant Pot. It’s the best pressure cooker beef short ribs recipe, in my opinion.
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
Looking for a slow cooker beef short rib recipe? Or maybe a pressure cooker beef short rib recipe? This Instant Pot Beef Short Rib recipe is one of the best beef short ribs recipes and the sauce is going to have you spooning it on everything.
I used to make beef short ribs in the slow cooker (and sometimes I still will), but lately I have been obsessed with my Instant Pot (affiliate link). I got this one on sale for 1/3 the price it’s listed now. Keep an eye on the sales, as they go down all the time. You can also get the non-ultra version. It’s priced reasonably.
It’s amazing how quickly an Instant Pot cooks things, and even more amazing that dishes don’t come out soggy or chewy. Every meat dish I’ve made so far has come out perfect, like I’ve slow cooked it for hours.
This instant pot beef short rib recipe is so insanely easy, and delicious that you are going to want to make it over and over again.
Pressure Cooker Beef Short Ribs
This Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) Beef Short Ribs recipe is a spin off my traditional slower cooker Savory Beef Short Ribs. The instant pot beef short ribs are just as tender and flavorful as when you cook them in a slow cooker.
The Instant Pot has several settings, depending on which model you have. I used the “Pressure Cook” setting, also known as the manual setting to make these. Some people have a “slow cooker” setting. That setting is to make the instant pot act like a slow cooker. You’ll want to use the pressure cooker setting for these instant pot beef short ribs.
How long does it take to cook beef ribs in a pressure cooker?
These Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs were on the table in less than an hour. I like to serve mine with bok choy and mashed sweet potatoes.
They are naturally gluten-free, and sugar-free, making them Paleo and Primal friendly (for those who eat Paleo or Primal). The combination of sweet and savory flavors brings a lite smokey BBQ flavor to these short ribs (not sweet at all). They are super savory.
You can also use beef rib fingers in this recipe, just reduce the time by 10 minutes.
What is a beef rib finger?
This instant pot beef short ribs recipe is as simple as mixing the spices, or use your favorite rub, and sear the meat. Add in the other ingredients and let the Instant Pot do it’s magic.
As an added bonus, not only do you get to enjoy amazing beef short ribs, but the bones take on a spicy flavor and are super tasty when used to make bone broth.
Tips and tricks to making perfect beef short ribs:
- Follow the directions and don’t skip steps.
- When you brown the short ribs, make sure they have a good brown crust to them.
- Add the ingredients in the order they are listed. If you have questions on substations, just ask.
- When the short ribs are done. Allow them to go through the cool down cycle on your instant pot for at least 10 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure.
- Make sure to spoon some extra sauce over the beef short ribs before serving.
- Store leftover beef short rib in the refrigerator with the sauce covering it. It will help keep the neat from drying out.
Can I cook instant pot beef short ribs from frozen?
Yes. You can start with frozen beef short ribs for this instant pot beef short rib recipe. Simply add 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Can I quick release my instant pot beef short ribs?
Instant pots kick into a slow release, or “cool down” function when the cook time is complete. For best results, allow your instant pot beef short ribs to sit in the instant pot while it naturally releases the pressure (about 30 minutes). You can also “quick” release the pressure when the cooking time is complete. Your instant pot beef short ribs will still be fall-off-the-bone tender.
This year we’re really trying to get better about making healthy high-protein meals at home. We will definitely be rotating these Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs into our meal plan at least once a month.
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can still enjoy my traditional slower cooker Savory Beef Short Ribs. If you’d like to make Baby Back Ribs the Gluten Free Pressure Cooker has a recipe for Pressure Cooker Memphis Style Ribs.
What to serve with beef short ribs:
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cobb
- Gluten-Free Biscuits
- Lemon Wok Asparagus
- Red Roasted Potatoes
- Air Fryer Green Beens
If you make this recipe, please stop back by and let me know what you thought! You can leave a starred rating and a comment below.
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 2 lbs. beef short rib
- 2 tablespoons high temperature oil
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 cloves garlic
- Mix the first five ingredients (the spices) and rub on the outside of the beef short rib; set aside.
- Set your instant pot to sauté.
- Drizzle oil into instant pot.
- Using tongs, lower short ribs into Instant Pot.
- Sear all sides.
- Remove short ribs; set aside.
- Add tomato paste, water, balsamic, Dijon mustard, cocoa, and garlic to the Instant Pot and mix with a spoon until combined.
- Add short ribs.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place.
- Make sure your steam vent is turned to closed.
- Turn the settings to "Pressure Cooker", and "Slow Release" and set the timer for 40 minutes.
- Once the 40 minutes are up, let the Instant Pot sit for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn the pressure release valve.
- Once all the pressure is released, unlock the lid.
- Spoon sauce over each piece of beef short rib and serve warm.
Please note that the nutritional information may not be accurate. It depends on how many short rib you make, and how big they are. Also, how much sauce you drizzle over the short ribs plays into the total nutritional count.
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
- 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs, Premium Silicone BPA Free Non-Stick Stainless Steel BBQ Cooking Grilling Locking Food Tongs, 9-Inch & 12-Inch
- Premium Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper Grinder Set of 2 - Adjustable Ceramic Sea Salt Grinder & Pepper Grinder - Tall Glass Salt and Pepper Shakers - Pepper Mill & Salt Mill with Free Funnel & EBook
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 short ribs
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 400 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 300mg Carbohydrates: 5g Sugar: 2g Protein: 33g