Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice is a simple and delicious way to get dinner on the table with minimal effort. It's a quick and easy way to make instant pot fried rice.
Fragrant jasmine rice, tender chicken, and lots of veggies come together to create a healthy and satisfying meal that the whole family will enjoy.
I love making quick and simple meals in the instant pot and this instant pot chicken fried rice does not disappoint.
In this post we're covering the ingredients needed to make instant pot chicken fried rice, how to make instant pot chicken fried rice, and tips for making instant pot chicken fried rice.
INSTANT POT FRIED RICE RECIPE
I've recreated many of my favorite Asian inspired dishes in my own kitchen, like this instant pot chicken fried rice. I love how I can enjoy take out favorites with no worries about cross contamination, and with full control over the ingredients that I include.
This instant pot chicken fried rice recipe is my newest favorite, and I know you're going to love it too.
The ingredients used in Asian cooking are generally naturally gluten free, except for soy sauce, which is in everything!
For that reason, take out restaurants aren't a good choice for me, but this instant pot chicken fried rice recipe is so simple to make at home that I don't even mind.
You will have a delicious pot of instant pot fried rice in less than an hour, and most of that time is completely hands off, letting the instant pot do all of the work.
INGREDIENTS IN INSTANT POT FRIED RICE
Olive Oil - This is used to cook the eggs and sauté the onions and garlic, right in the instant pot.
Eggs - Little pieces of scrambled egg are one of my favorite parts of a good fried rice.
Onion - About a half of a yellow onion, diced, gives great flavor to fried rice in the instant pot.
Garlic - Mince up one clove of garlic for this recipe. You could even add a bit more if you really like garlic.
Chicken Breast - Cut your chicken into ½ inch cubes.
Jasmine Rice - I find that fried rice in the instant pot comes out best with this fragrant long grain variety. Substitute any other long grain white rice if you prefer.
Chicken Broth - This ties all of the other seasonings together, and is the liquid that will cook the rice.
Carrots - Fresh diced carrots work best as we'll be cooking them along with the rice.
Frozen Peas - Thaw your peas. We'll add them in at the end to warm through.
Tamari Sauce - This gluten free soy sauce is absolutely delicious.
Sesame Oil - Added for flavor after cooking is completed.
Green Onion - Optional, but sliced green onion is a beautiful addition to your dish.
If you have any questions about the ingredients in this instant pot chicken fried rice, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FRIED RICE IN AN INSTANT POT
- Heat oil in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting, and cook eggs, breaking up as they cook. Remove the eggs from the pot and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot and sauté the onion until translucent. Then add minced garlic and sauté as directed in the recipe card below.
- Add cubed chicken to the Instant Pot and brown. It does not need to cook all the way through at this step.
- Add rice. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes to let it toast.
- Add ¼ cup of chicken broth and scrape off any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add carrots and remaining chicken broth. Do not stir, but make sure that the rice is completely submerged under the broth by pressing it down with a spoon.
- Close the lid and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure, and then release the pressure as directed.
- Open the lid and stir to combine. Add peas.
- Add reserved scrambled eggs, tamari, and sesame oil. Stir to combine and let peas warm up before serving.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions in this instant pot chicken fried rice, please see the recipe below.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT INSTANT POT FRIED RICE
Don't substitute the rice in this instant pot chicken fried rice recipe for anything other than a long grain white rice. Short grains will be too starchy, and brown rice will not cook properly with this method.
Check to be sure that the "keep warm" function of the instant pot is not on. This function keeps the heat on while the pressure is being released, and we don't want that here.
The rice will finish cooking using the residual heat of the instant pot while we wait for the natural release.
The yellow color of the rice comes from the chicken broth I used, which has a dark yellow color. You can substitute other types of broth, but the flavor and color will be different.
HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP FRIED RICE IN THE INSTANT POT
This recipe can be adjusted to use any sort of protein including shrimp, beef, pork, or even tofu. For beef or pork, simply cook the recipe as directed.
For Tofu or Shrimp, which will take much less time to cook, I'd suggest cooking the protein on the stovetop while the instant pot is running, and adding into the rice at the same time you add the peas.
HOW TO STORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN FRIED RICE
We love making this instant pot chicken fried rice recipe. Our family of four is satisfied and full and we always have leftovers. To store leftover instant pot chicken fried rice, cover it or place it in a container with a lid, and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
If you use shrimp, I wouldn't let it go past 2 days in the fridge.
You can also freeze this instant pot chicken fried rice in a sealed container for up to 3 months. I wouldn't recommend freezing fried rice with shrimp, personally.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup that’s healthy, bursting with flavor, and super filling. This fajita soup recipe only uses a few ingredients that most people have on hand. It's a quick and filling gluten free instant pot recipe.
Instant Pot Carnitas - If you’ve never tried your hand at making homemade versions of your favorite restaurant dishes, that will change after you make Instant Pot Carnitas. This instant pot carnitas recipe uses everyday ingredients and it’s ready in under and hour. It's a quick and simple gluten free instant pot recipes.
Instant Pot Salmon - Did you know that you can make mouthwatering, flavorful salmon fillets right in your Instant Pot? This Instant Pot Salmon recipe is one of our favorite gluten free instant pot recipes and it requires minimal prep work but yields deliciously flaky, delicate results.
Instant Pot Chicken Stir Fry - Make this simple and completely delicious Instant Pot Chicken Stir Fry with vegetables for dinner this week. This recipe is fast, easy, and filling. Stir fries are an excellent dinner option for busy families because they're one pot meals, simple to make, and are packed with protein and vegetables.
Gluten Free Instant Pot Pepper Steak - Make this savory, Instant Pot Pepper Steak using only a handful of ingredients and a few simple steps. The combination of seasonings, peppers, and steak in this instant pot pepper steak recipe is delicious and incredibly filling.
Instant Pot Broccoli - If you're looking for a quick and easy way to make broccoli, you'll want to make instant pot broccoli!
Instant Pot Fajitas - Instant Pot Fajitas will soon find their way into your regular dinner rotation because of how simple and delicious they are. Perfectly seasoned, tender strips of chicken with savory peppers and onions make a perfect filling for soft tortillas.
Looking for a specific instant pot recipe that you don't see? Let us know in the comments below.
Did you make this Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup onion, diced (from ½ yellow onion)
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb uncooked chicken breast, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1.5 cups jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1.75 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 6 tbsp tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup sliced green onion, for garnish
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Once heated, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat for 1 minute.
- Then, add the lightly beat eggs and cook for 2-3 minutes, breaking up the eggs as they cook. Remove the eggs from the Instant Pot and set aside. Be sure to get all remnants of the egg from the pan so they don’t burn.
- Add the remaining oil to the Instant Pot.
- Then, add the onion and let sauté for 3 minutes, until translucent. Add minced garlic, and cook an additional minute, being sure to stir constantly so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add cubed uncooked chicken and let brown for 1-2 minutes. It does not need to cook all the way through.
- Add rice and stir and cook for 1-2 minutes to let it toast. Then add ¼ cup of the chicken broth and scrape off any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add carrots. Add remaining chicken broth. Do not stir, but make sure the rice is completely submerged by lightly pressing it down with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Close the lid and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Be sure the “keep warm” function is turned off.
- Let naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release. Wait until the valve pin has dropped completely before opening the lid.
- Open the lid and stir to combine. Add the peas, tamari, scrambled eggs, and sesame oil. Stir to combine and let heat for 1-2 minutes to let the peas warm up.
- Top with green onions and serve immediately.
- Don't substitute the rice in this recipe for anything other than a long grain white rice. Short grains will be too starchy, and brown rice will not cook properly with this method.
- Check to be sure that the "keep warm" function of the instant pot is not on. This function keeps the heat on while the pressure is being released, and we don't want that here. The rice will finish cooking using the residual heat of the instant pot while we wait for the natural release.
- The color of the rice comes from the chicken broth I used, which has a dark yellow color. You can substitute other types of broth, but the flavor and color will be different.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 1398mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 32g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.