By Wendy Stoltz / Last Modified On January 15, 2023
Make this simple and completely delicious Instant Pot Chicken Stir Fry with vegetables for dinner this week. This recipe is fast, easy, and filling.
Stir fries are an excellent dinner option for busy families because they're one pot meals, simple to make, and are packed with protein and vegetables.
Serve this instant pot chicken stir fry over rice for a complete and balanced meal.
We're covering how to make instant pot stir fry, what ingredients are in instant pot chicken stir fry, tips for making stir fry in the instant pot, what vegetables work in instant pot stir fry, and sharing other instant pot recipes.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN STIR FRY RECIPE
We love making Asian style meals at my house. Recipes like this Instant Pot Stir Fry, our Gluten Free Teriyaki Chicken, and our Gluten Free Orange Chicken are naturally gluten free, and totally delicious.
You'll love this Instant Pot Chicken Stir Fry recipe because it cooks so easily and quickly in your Instant Pot.
You're basically just throwing everything in and letting the pot do the work for you.
When the machine beeps you'll have tender chicken and vegetables with a thick, flavorful, and savory sauce.
INGREDIENTS IN INSTANT POT CHICKEN STIR FRY
Skinless, Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast - Cut your chicken breasts into bite size pieces. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in this recipe if you prefer.
Salt and Pepper - To season the chicken before searing.
Gluten Free Tamari - This gluten free soy sauce is the base of our stir fry flavors. Substitute coconut aminos if you like.
Chicken Broth - Mixed with the tamari or soy sauce and other seasonings, chicken broth creates a beautiful sauce. Water will work if you don't have broth. You need the liquid in order for the Instant Pot to cook properly.
Sesame Oil - This oil gives a nutty, savory flavor. Here we're also using it to sauté the chicken.
Rice Vinegar - Another ingredient that gives a tangy flavor to sauces.
Garlic - Dice fresh garlic cloves or use refrigerated, jarred minced garlic.
Ginger - You'll need about an inch of ginger root for this recipe. Fresh ginger is easy to find in most grocery stores.
Arrowroot Starch - This is our thickener and makes the sauce thick and silky.
Water - Mixed with the starch to make a slurry before adding it in. This helps prevent any clumps from forming.
Bell Peppers - I like to use a mix of both red and green bell peppers in this recipe, both for color and flavor.
Broccoli - Fresh broccoli cut into small florets will be tender and soak up all of the sauce flavors. Cut the peppers into thin slices.
Carrots - Peel and cut carrots into thin slices or sticks.
Sesame Seeds - Toasted sesame seeds make the perfect crunchy topping.
If you have any questions about this instant pot chicken stir fry, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN STIR FRY
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Set the instant pot to Sauté and heat the oil. Add the chicken and cook to brown. It won't be fully cooked at this point.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the tamari, broth, sesame oil, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the prepared sauce to the Instant pot with the chicken.
- Pressure Cook in the instant pot as directed in the recipe below. Quick release the steam and remove the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot back to Sauté. In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot starch and water.
- Add the starch to the instant pot and whisk until sauce has slightly thickened.
- Add the vegetables to the instant pot and stir until combined.
- Cook in the instant pot as directed until vegetables are tender.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions in this instant pot stir fry, please see the recipe below.
VEGETABLES FOR INSTANT POT STIR FRY
In this instant pot stir fry recipe we're using a mix of broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers, but the great thing about stir fry is that you can mix and match your vegetables to add whatever you like.
Ideally you'll choose vegetables that will cook at about the same rate, so that everything will be done at the same time. Of course, if you want to add something like peas or greens, you can add them in at the end so they get the least amount of cooking.
Other veggies that would be delicious in an Instant Pot Chicken Stir Fry are cauliflower, snap peas, snow peas, chopped bok choi, canned water chestnuts, zucchini, mushrooms, green onion, or green beans.
If needed, you can even use frozen vegetables in this recipe. They won't need as long to cook, so watch closely to ensure they don't get mushy.
Tips for making instant pot stir fry
- Gather all ingredients before starting to cook.
- Avoid using large chunks of chicken or it will take longer to cook.
- Chicken should be cut in equal shape and size so they cook evenly.
- You can use fresh or frozen vegetables.
- Chicken breast meat and chicken thigh meat both work well in this instant pot stir fry recipe.
- This recipe works in an 6 QT and 8 QT instant pot.
If you have any questions, please leave it in the comments below and we will get back to you.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs - Tender, and fall-of-the-bone good, these Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs are going to be a new favorite Pressure Cooker Ribs. These short ribs are a favorite and that's why were sharing it in our roundup of gluten free instant pot recipes.
Instant Pot Beef Tips - Instant Pot Beef Sirloin Tips that are savory, tender, and perfectly seasoned. Serve these Pressure Cooker Beef Sirloin Tips with your favorite sides for a simple, yet delectable gluten free instant pot recipes meal.
Instant Pot Carnitas - If you’ve never tried your hand at making homemade versions of your favorite restaurant dishes, that will change after you make Instant Pot Carnitas. This instant pot carnitas recipe uses everyday ingredients and it’s ready in under and hour. It's a quick and simple gluten free instant pot recipes.
Instant Pot Salmon - Did you know that you can make mouthwatering, flavorful salmon fillets right in your Instant Pot? This Instant Pot Salmon recipe is one of our favorite gluten free instant pot recipes and it requires minimal prep work but yields deliciously flaky, delicate results.
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup that’s healthy, bursting with flavor, and super filling. This fajita soup recipe only uses a few ingredients that most people have on hand. It's a quick and filling gluten free instant pot recipe.
This easy instant pot chicken stir fry recipe is quick, healthy, filling, and delicious. Packed full of vegetables and chicken, it makes for great mid week dinner served on rice. This is the best instant pot stir fry recipe, in our opinion.
Did you make this Instant Pot Chicken Stir Fry? Please leave a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 1 pound boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup gluten free tamari, or coconut aminos
- ¼ cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
- 2 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- toasted sesame seeds, for topping
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tamari, broth, sesame oil, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté. Add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often. The chicken will not be cooked through.
- Add the prepared sauce.
- Cover with a lid and set the valve to Sealing. Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. It will take the Instant Pot about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Once cooked, carefully set the valve to Venting to quick-release the steam. Remove the lid once the pin has dropped.
- Press the sauté button. In a small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot starch and water. Once combined, add to the Instant Pot and whisk until the sauce has slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the vegetables and stir until combined. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice or cauliflower rice and top with sesame seeds.
- Substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the breasts if you prefer.
- Depending on the size of your vegetable pieces, you may need additional cook time. Cutting the broccoli and carrots smaller will allow them to cook more quickly.
- If you like a sweeter sauce, add a tablespoon of brown sugar or your preferred sweetener to the tamari mixture.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 2254mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 30g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.