Learn how to make the perfect gluten free apple crisp using only 7 ingredients. With a crunchy sweet topping and tender tart apples, this gluten free apple crisp recipe is quick to make.
This apple crisp is egg-free, nut-free, and has a refined sugar-free option.
Love apple desserts? Try my Gluten Free Apple Pie next.
Gluten Free Apple Crisp
We've been making this gluten free crisp recipe for about 20 years now.
We bring it to parties and potlucks and everyone, including people who eat gluten, say it's the best gluten free apple crisp.
What makes it the best? The filling is just apples, sweet and tart granny smith apples. And the topping is crunchy, sweet, and full of spices and takes only 6 ingredients.
This gluten free apple crisp recipe pulls together quickly and bakes up in 30 minutes.
Lots of people add extra ingredients to the filling but the best apple crisps are the ones that highlight the apples and compliments them with a crunchy, spicy topping.
Gluten Free Apple Crisp Recipe
For this recipe I used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour Blend. I've also used my homemade gluten free flour blend. This recipe also calls for gluten free oats.
Please double check to make sure that your oats are gluten free. Purity protocol oats are recommended.
To make this gluten free apple crisp recipe refined sugar-free, replace the brown sugar with coconut sugar. You can also make my Paleo Apple Crisp.
I haven't tested this recipe with sugar free sweeteners yet, but if I do, I'll be sure to update this recipe post.
Working with Gluten-Free Flours
When working with or measuring gluten-free flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level. Do not scoop your measuring cup into the gluten-free flour.
The best method really is to weigh the gluten-free flour but I don't have the ingredient weights for all my recipes yet.
You can enjoy this gluten free apple crisp as-is, with vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream.
If you are dairy-free, you can top this yummy crisp recipe with your favorite dairy-free vanilla ice cream of dairy-free whipped cream.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Apple Crisp
To make this apple crisp a gluten free dairy free apple crisp simply swap out the butter with your favorite dairy-free butter. You can also use coconut oil.
Be sure to freeze the coconut oil and chop it into pieces before you add it to the dry mixture. This will ensure it doesn't melt too quickly when baking.
What apple are good for making crisps?
We like to use granny smith apples, but you can use your tart apple of choice. Some other favorites are Honeycrisp and Golden Delicious apples.
How to Make Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Core, peel and slice your apples and arrange them in a 8X8X2 glass baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients.
- Add your cold butter (room temperature works too) to the dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender, or two forks, work your butter into your dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spoon your crisp topping on top of the apple filling. If desired, press down on the filling.
- Bake as directed.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
This gluten free apple crisp has the perfect balance of spices baked on top of delicious, tart apples. It's easy to make and you can double or triple the recipe if you need to feed a crowd. This apple crisp recipe does not freeze well.
If you love crisps you'll want to make my Gluten Free Blackberry Crisp. If you're a fruit pie person you'll want to check out my Gluten Free Cherry Pie. If you're looking for more crisp recipes, you might like this Gluten Free Strawberry Nectarine Crisp. This Gluten Free Peach Crisp is also scrumptious.
Did you make this gluten-free apple crisp? Please leave a starred rating and a comment below letting me know what you thought.
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1)
- ½ cup gluten-free quick oats (make sure they are gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Position the oven rack in center of oven. Lightly spray or grease an 8x8x2” square pan.
- Core apples, and peel and slice them.
- Arrange apple slices evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Sugar Free Option: To make this gluten free apple crisp recipe sugar-free, replace the brown sugar with coconut sugar.
- Dairy-Free Option: To make this apple crisp and gluten free dairy free apple crisp simply swap out the butter with your favorite dairy-free butter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. They never cost you extra.
Serving Size:½ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 4gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
This nutrition info is based on the exact ingredients and brands that I used a the time. It may not be 100% accurate. Please check your ingredients nutrition labels.